Can You Replace Only The Upper Ball Joint On A '98 AWD Mountaineer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can You Replace Only The Upper Ball Joint On A '98 AWD Mountaineer?

mlochala

Reaction score
City, State
Amory, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I have a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer AWD. I need to replace the ball joints, upper and lower. Money is an issue, and I can do the work myself.

On the upper ball joints, is it possible to only replace the ball joints themself or is it required to replace the complete control arm assembly?

If it's factory you have to replace the whole control arm. I think MOOG makes ones that you can replace just the ball joint.

im in the same situation right now but i need more stuff... if you have the stock control arms you can not take the ball joints out, but you can buy aftermarket control arms (like moog) so next time around you can do that next time but since money is an issue i doubt youll want to do that. i ended up buying a package on ebay with the upper control arms and ball joints, lower ball joints, tie rod ends (inner and outer), and sway bar links but i dont suggest getting that because the tie rod ends are already broken and i havnt even installed them yet!

Back