Cannot Get into Gear - Manual Transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cannot Get into Gear - Manual Transmission

J$hort

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport, 2008 XLT V8
Hi all, let me set this up. 1995 Explorer Sport with manual transmission, owned since new. Last work done was a clutch install and I was able to get it into gear after quite a bit of clutch line bleeding and clutch pumping. Drove it down the street and back.. again, that was a while back (1+ years). Clutch, master clutch cylinder and slave clutch cylinder along with all hydrolic clutch lines replaced.

Fast forward and was able to get motor running and did a bench bleed on the clutch line and reinstalled. No air in line up to transmission fitting and bled the entire system of air. Clutch pedal has resistance and clutch throw out cylinder has about 1/2 inch movement on the pressure plate fingers as I can see in transmission window. Wondering how much movement is needed to throw out the clutch to flywheel. Hoping I do not have to pull the transfer case and transmission again, but may be inevitable. Any ideas to try before I do? Just trying to get this back on the road and have to get it moving before I start other repairs on it (brakes, shocks, exhaust). Any info or ideas much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it go into gear with it not running?

Ok, so I can place in all gears with clutch pedal depressed and also when the clutch is not pressed. Could this be a problem with the pressure plate or a clearance issue?

Update: Spent some time with the 95 this weekend (downtime as I attempt to find a 36mm deep socket to get the rear axle nut off my 2008 Ex, but that's another thread). Still cant get the 95 in gear while engine running. I exhausted all clutch master cylinder bleeding measures found in the manual and in forums here (reverse bleeding with Phoenix bleeder, 2 man pump, inverted master cyl pump, circlip removal and master cylinder piston drain). I'm pretty confident that there is no air in the line. Clutch peal is consistently hard when depressed.

Before i drop the xmission again, any thoughts of things try. I did replace the slave cylinder a while back, but wondering if it is the issue. I only get about 1/2" travel when looking at it thru transmission access window. Xfer case and transmission removal is not trivial, so just want to make sure I am not missing anything before taking this on.

So I decided to drop the xfer case and transmission to take a look at the clutch slave cylinder as I completely bled the clutch master cylinder repeatedly and was finally getting some pressure. Noting that the slave cylinder had movement, but not enough. Sure as expected, the slave cylinder came out in pieces with springs completely removed. I bought this a while back on line and now need to think if it was an inferior part or if there is something else that killed it.. I plan on getting a new on and using existing clutch as it is a newer one that has no wear. I'll probably change out pilot bearing to be sure. Can anyone think of any reason that a new slave cylinder would be damaged by initial use?

Back