Cannot open right rear door, inside or out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cannot open right rear door, inside or out

usazr1

Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Passenger rear door, 2013 Ex will not open from the inside or out, acts like the lock actuator and lock button detached from latch inside door.

Anyone had this issue and had it fixed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Passenger rear door, 2013 Ex will not open from the inside or out, acts like the lock actuator and lock button detached from latch inside door...

This sounds like an issue for your dealership to unlock, usazr1. What's the current mileage on your Explorer?

Crystal

First I've read about it.. you are under warranty so take it to the dealer.

The vehicle has 16,360 miles and is under warranty. There is an appointment for repairs but I wanted to learn if others have had this issue. Main thing would be to avoid collateral damage from ripping the door trim panel off to get at the lock/latch with the door closed. It might not be pretty when they get done with it...

I, like blwnsmoke, haven't heard of this issue before on this forum.

Peter

Passenger rear door, 2013 Ex will not open from the inside or out, acts like the lock actuator and lock button detached from latch inside door.

Anyone had this issue and had it fixed?

I've had this happen before except it was only the inside handle that was affected on one of my rear doors. This was back in 2011.

Stuff happens. Not a problem anyone has mentioned before. Definitely take it to the dealer and have it fixed under warranty, it will be a big PITA to get that inside panel off. They will likely have to remove the rear seat. to get at everything.

Okay, thanks for the input. We will see on January 6 what the story is.

This is the first issue that the vehicle has had in almost 3 years of ownership. To only have one thing go wrong in three years is pretty amazing and speaks well of the quality in Ford products.

Okay, thanks for the input. We will see on January 6 what the story is.

This is the first issue that the vehicle has had in almost 3 years of ownership. To only have one thing go wrong in three years is pretty amazing and speaks well of the quality in Ford products.

Luck of the draw...

Dealer corrected the door issue. They contacted Ford and the technician had to do what I expected, cut the door trim panel to gain access to the lock/latch mechanism to open the door. Replaced the latch/lock and the door trim panel. Took a few days but the technician did a great job and left no trace of the repair process. Good as new, still love the vehicle!

Dealer corrected the door issue. They contacted Ford and the technician had to do what I expected, cut the door trim panel to gain access to the lock/latch mechanism to open the door. Replaced the latch/lock and the door trim panel. Took a few days but the technician did a great job and left no trace of the repair process. Good as new, still love the vehicle!

Didn't see your post earlier, usazr1. I had the same issue on Rear Left Passenger side door on a brand new 2015 ExSport. Came like that from Ford Factory, however the dealer took care of it by replacing some plastic part after taking the door trim off. It took them only an hour to do so...so my car was not in for days. Working fine since then....

The vehicle has 16,360 miles and is under warranty. There is an appointment for repairs but I wanted to learn if others have had this issue. Main thing would be to avoid collateral damage from ripping the door trim panel off to get at the lock/latch with the door closed. It might not be pretty when they get done with it...
I am having the same issue with my 2017 Explorer...guess i need to pull the panel somehow from the inside.

I am having the same issue with my 2017 Explorer...guess i need to pull the panel somehow from the inside.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did this just suddenly start?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did this just suddenly start?

Peter
Yes...went to open the door and wouldn't open from the outside. I checked all the settings and they were the same. I used the key and turned on the child safety lock thinking it was turned on and now can't open from the inside. I don't want to take it to the dealer and i also don't want to destroy my like new interior. It's actually the left rear door...drivers side. HELP!! Also, my remote is fine and you can here it unlock, just can't open with the door handles. Seems like a rod has come loose...

I think it is possible to remove the interior panel even with the door closed as another member has done it. I haven't found that thread yet but did find this using the 'Search' feature but the steps are not complete. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion

Peter

I think it is possible to remove the interior panel even with the door closed as another member has done it. I haven't found that thread yet but did find this using the 'Search' feature but the steps are not complete. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion

Peter
Thanks Pete. I looked at it closely today and there are 2 bottom screws that are easy to get to and the rest is pretty straight forward. I bought a new Actuator and hopefully that's what it is. I let my Daughter drive it for about 2 months and that's when it happened. I feel somebody slammed the door really hard and something came loose. I like my 2017 Exploder LTD and want to keep it looking and driving as new. You know how it is. lol

Back