cant open the rear door from the inside | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cant open the rear door from the inside

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
i just noticed yesterday my rear door wont open from the inside on the drivers side. seems it clicks 2 times when you pull the door handle. i havent pulled out the door pannel yet. anyone experience this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aha. Something that i have done in my 1993 ford explorer. Basically, the handle is attach to this plastic component that sort of looks like a gear, and the plastic wears down. I think there are like 3-4 plastic gear things, but on mine they were completely chipped/worn down. Just go to your local junk yard, take a screwdriver, and find a handle that isn't worn down, and install it in yours. This has happened to me before and its a 5 dollar fix. Make sure to take the handle thats broken to the junk yard to compare with a good condition handle. Make sure to reinstall it the same way it was before. Good luck.

Make sure the child lock lever is pushed all the way to the off position as well. Mine wasn't all the way to off one time and the door did that.

thanks i will check it out. its weird the back handle going out looks like no one ever sat back there. the seat belts are still new looking. my explorer only had 120k miles in 07 and it was originally bought from seattle wa i was living in wa for few few years the decided to move back to ca so i took it with me.

Make sure after you replace it you clean the door latch mechanism... As I had to spray mine with brake cleaner and WD40 to get it to work... And as you the other I need to replace the handle inside... But dirt makes them not work and hard on handle...

My mechanic just cleaned the mechanism and oiled it, now it works just fine. He said after so many years, the grease and oils just dry up. I thought it was the child lock, but no.

Back