Capless fuel system? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Capless fuel system?

Well that is damn nifty, if you wouldnt mind, you should take a couple pics, im curious to see what it looks like.

That is a way better design im not gonna lie.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my old Cutlass, the gas filler was behind the license plate. And it was spring loaded. On the early design, to get the plate to stay down you HAD to use your gas cap to hold it down. It had the lip on there to catch it just right...PERFECT. And I NEVER lost a single cap.

Ryan

Those things BLOW. I just got one a few days ago and it's a piece of crap. Just yesterday I had I tried to use a gas nozzle at a station in Wisconsin and it didn't even fit. I had a tough time with another station too. Gas leaked all over the place and it knocked the little flap off that "seals" the system. I'm going to review it in the "reviews" section soon. A definite 1/10. I'll give it a 0/10 if I could.

What a waste of $15. I'd take it back, but I've left the Milwaukee area where I got it and they don't have an Advance Auto Parts where I live. I plan to contact Stant about this piece of junk. :thumbdwn:

I've gone back to my old cap.

This is accurate. Do NOT buy this product. First time I used mine the flap broke off the hinge, negating its purpose entirely.

My toyota camryhas a similar system to jeep grand cherokee where the door has a complementary holster for the cap. Whether a gas attendant notices and actually uses it is a different story. I'll try to get a couple of shots of it if anyone would like to try making their own bracket for there truck.

-Marc

Those things BLOW. I just got one a few days ago and it's a piece of crap. Just yesterday I had I tried to use a gas nozzle at a station in Wisconsin and it didn't even fit. I had a tough time with another station too. Gas leaked all over the place and it knocked the little flap off that "seals" the system. I'm going to review it in the "reviews" section soon. A definite 1/10. I'll give it a 0/10 if I could.

What a waste of $15. I'd take it back, but I've left the Milwaukee area where I got it and they don't have an Advance Auto Parts where I live. I plan to contact Stant about this piece of junk. :thumbdwn:

I've gone back to my old cap.
They SUCK, too.

I used to live in NJ. Seen more big belt buckles and key chains on these attendants than I care for. I love the PA way; stick a credit or debit card in, select the octane and pump. Then go away.

They SUCK, too.

Big time!

In case anyone is researching this product, I have Stant "InStant Fill" part # 41002 for my '99 Explorer. I really went out of my way to locate the cap (Advance Auto Parts sort of special ordered it for me). They aren't readily available in Canada so I specifically went to find one while in the US.

Run, don't walk from this product. It's garbage.

More info

(dead link)

The product seems well made, but it simply doesn't work as advertised. In fact, it's dangerous. As I was filling my tank for the last time with this cap, gas gushed out of my filler tube and all over the side of my car. I thought the first time it crapped out may have been an exception. It took me about an hour to reinstall the flap (it's hard to get it past the spring). When it died the second time, I wasn't willing to give it a third chance. I've contacted Stant and sent them a link to this thread. I bet they do nothing about my complaint because they probably get complaints about them all the time. This product should not be on the market. :thumbdwn:

My toyota camryhas a similar system to jeep grand cherokee where the door has a complementary holster for the cap. Whether a gas attendant notices and actually uses it is a different story. I'll try to get a couple of shots of it if anyone would like to try making their own bracket for there truck.

-Marc

That would be great if you could...
Id love to make something like that, im not too sure if it would allow the gas door to close all the way though...it seems like it would hit the gas cap?

They sell those already, look around, maybe ebay?...

UPDATE:

I contacted Stant this morning and they offered to send another InstantFill cap, no questions asked. I still don't think this is a good design, so have asked for a standard locking cap instead. Only time will tell if they think that's a fair trade. ;)

UPDATE 2:

They just confirmed they'll send me a locking cap instead. Great service so I can't fault them for that!

That would be great if you could...
Id love to make something like that, im not too sure if it would allow the gas door to close all the way though...it seems like it would hit the gas cap?

Toyota figured out how to do it. It's probably not to hard if you can weld and shape metal.

Also, when I went to the gas station today, my gas attendant did use it. He's not one of the careless attendants previously mentioned.

-Marc

I should have re-stated what i said, and been more specific, NOT ALL of the full serve attendants are careless assholes, cus going on road trips with my dad, we passed thru NJ and a few other states on the way to Maine, and they were full serve's but my dad purposely kept driving to find a self serve, hes just like me, lol...well I mean im just like him :p:

hey Brian, I noticed your on and I would like to add those toyota pictures I promised, but am not sure how. I already put the pictures in a folder on my computer and want to add them to a reply post. please tell me how

-Marc

Goto Photobucket.com, register, then UPLOAD your pics on there

I like the cap holder on the gas door like my Mom's Camry has. That is the only thing I like about my Mom's Camry. :D

BTW- you should have run away from that cap when they advertised this as a potential reason to have one:

Race fans: Fill up like NASCAR does during a pit stop.

WTF?!? If that's your reason, you need a kick in the junk.

Hah, I always see that whole "STANT" section at Meijers, theyre locking caps also SUCK by the way, I had one for my explorer, and it was HORRIBLE, the little like "door" thing that slides back when you put the key in, to keep crud out of the keyhole, always was like stuck, and took forever to get the key in, and then I had to unlock it, and twist it off, then put it back on and lock it and take the key out, which isnt bad, but I had one from AutoZone for my taurus, idr which brand, but you just twisted the key to unlock it, and then once you put it back on and twisted it closed, it automatically locked when it twisted.

I even ruined one of the keys in the springtime this year, it was like 40 degrees outside, but the damn thing wouldnt twist to open, and the key bent then broke inside of it, and I was seriously BARELY twisting it, so I luckily had a pair of needlenose in the back to get the broken key out with :p:

Thanks for directions Brian, here you go.

P1010517.jpg
The shape of the cap itself
P1010508.jpg
the holder on the fuel door.
P1010508.jpg

P1010511.jpg

P1010514.jpg

P1010513.jpg

P1010516.jpg
and with the gas cap on it
P1010515.jpg

It appears that the bracket is not welded on, but more holds onto it by the curved pieces. I just noticed this from the picture so i'll see if its removable. If so, I'll see if it fits on my explorer and would only need to be cut around the edges to fit the shape of the fuel door. This could actually be a pretty good little business, like some of the other members who have made brackets for different things. I'm sure some would buy it.

-Marc :salute:

see i was picturing some bigass like "cup" type design for the WHOLE cap to sit in, thats why I thought it would have been to big to make....thats a great idea, and I may try that soon :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After I repainted my Galant, I cut off the connector from the car to the cap. That way, every time an attendant took it off, they put it on the pump. I did have one dumb@$$ try to put it on my roof. Let's just say he can't hear very well anymore...:D

Back