Car audio newbie crossover questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car audio newbie crossover questions

audionut

Reaction score
City, State
Everett, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4 X 4
Hello all,
I'm just getting into car audio (after building my home theatre system I couldn't stand my car stereo) and have a few questions. Let me begin by explaining what I have:

1996 Explorer XLT 4 door 4 x 4
Blaupunkt Munchen CD player (professionally installed)
Blaupunkt 10 disc CD changer (that I installed)

Now I'm ready to install a set of Rockford Fosgate Fanatic FNX1514 component speakers up front. This set comes with a separate tweeter, midrange, and crossover. I've read a few posts on installing a crossover but they all are assuming an amp is installed. I don't have an amp. I realize I should have one but just not in the budget right now.

How do I install the crossover? Do I splice into the existing speakers wires?

I'm assuming that I have a positive and negative wire coming from the head unit for each speaker. Now, I was going to connect a pair of wires from the midrange speakers connectors (on the speaker itself) to the input of the crossover and then connect the tweeter to the crossover.

Am I on the right track here? I'm planning on mounting the tweeters about head level on the windshield pillars.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Carter

[Edited by audionut on 09-17-2000 at 01:17 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay...Now...I would believe the instructions would explain this all...but you will take the front speaker wires, the ones to the stock front speaker and these will go to the input on the crossover...From there you should have 2 connections open, one for the tweeter and one for the midrange..You connect them respectivly....as for this quote
"I'm planning on mounting the crossovers about head level on the windshield pillars." Were you meaning the tweeters...Because if I were you and that is what ya wanted....I'd put the midranges in the stock door location and mount the tweeters into the A-pillar...As for the crossovers...If you wanna show em off, I don't exactally know the best spot on your truck, but it's very easy to tuck them under the dash..Hope that helped...any other problems..just ask.....Pete

Thanks for the info Pete. I haven't received the speakers yet and I'm trying to figure it out before I receive them in the next few days. Yes, I did mean tweeters on the "a" pillars and edited the post. A crossover would look pretty strange mounted there! It sounds easy enough. Now all I have to do is get the door panels off.

Thanks again,
Carter

On the topic of Blaupunkt.
I have the stock cassette player in my 1996.
It's been long enough (2 month) and I need a CD player. I was looking at a couple different ones tell me what you guys think.
Blaupunkt Alaska
Sony Xplod CDX-4000X
Pioneer DEH-P3100

Out of these what is the best?

I don't know what you are looking to spend, but the new Kenwoods are really good! just my two cents...Pete

Originally posted by kubben
On the topic of Blaupunkt.
I have the stock cassette player in my 1996.
It's been long enough (2 month) and I need a CD player. I was looking at a couple different ones tell me what you guys think.
Blaupunkt Alaska
Sony Xplod CDX-4000X
Pioneer DEH-P3100

Out of these what is the best?
Out of those three I'd go with the Pioneer. But I recommend the new Panasonic..check out the comparison!
http://www.sounddomain.com/shopping...ebar_type=types&selected=CD+Players&x=30&y=14

Back