Car "puts" when I first start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car "puts" when I first start

halfbakedj14

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer
Recently I noticed that my car has been slightly rattling or "putting" when I first start my car. It lasts for about 5-10 seconds then goes away but happens every morning I start my car. I really notice it if I start to drive immediately after I start my car I will notice that it kind of takes a second to really get going and the noise to stop. It doesn't happen at all when I drive only when I start it. I figure it might be worth mentioning that it started happening right after I did an oil change myself, but everything went fine and I didn't ntice any problems.

Tell us what year, engine, etc. Sounds like one of the spark plugs is getting fouled with coolant. My 96 4.0 OHV was getting a little coolant in one of the cylinders overnight. A bottle of Bars Leak fixed that, and the seeping heads and water pump housing gasket. On recent trip to AZ and back, one head is starting to seep again. Time to flush system and put in more sealer. This time I think I will use K&W block seal. Sooner or later I will have to replace head gaskets.

Back