My 2000 Explorer nealy dies on the first start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2000 Explorer nealy dies on the first start.

Louist5150

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hello I was wondering if someone out there could give me any ideas. I drive a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 SOHC. My problem is, recently when I start my car up in the mornings my Explorer will idle high like normal at about 1500 RPMs and then idle down to 500 RPMs almost dieing on me, then it will do this back and forth until it warms up, after it warms up it is fine. Also, After that first start off the day my explorer will run fine and idle fine on start up. I recently changed my thermostat and my fuel filter. It seems like the issue started after I changed my thermostat. The guy at NAPA told me to disconnect my thermostat temp valvel and then plug it back in but it is impossible to get to. I have only 80,000 miles on my rig and it seems to run wonderful besides that. Can anyone tell me how to fix this or what my problems might be? I would really appreciate all of your help.

Thanks,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NO I do not have any engine codes. I am taking it in to Ford today to see if they can diagnose it. My local Autozone did not have the equipment to test it either.

Your symptoms point directly to the intake gaskets, very common on our engines.
Don't waste your $$$ with the dealer trying to run you around.

What do you think I should do take it to another repair shop besides Ford? I do not know how to change the intake gasket myself. I am afraid I will make problems worse. Is the intake gasket hard to fix? DO think that is all I need to do or do I need to replace the orings too?

Back