Tickey sound when i first start up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tickey sound when i first start up

kingman109

Reaction score
City, State
Miramichi, NB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT
I was recently in the woods hauling atv's. when i got home and started the truck the next time (4.6 V8) I noticed that i had a bit of a ticking sound coming from underneath. when i give it throttle it goes away. I am guessing its the manifold as my buddy had the same issue with his older F-150. Any thing else it could be? On a diff note, I also find that it has been a bit louder in the front end the last month or so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem. It turned out to be the passenger side exhaust manifold. $350.00 later and no more ticking.

Do they have to lift up the motor to get at the Exhaust Manifold? was that $350.00 Canadian or American prices? I guess what I am asking is how much labour is involved?

from what I understand if your truck has less than 60k miles then it should be covered under warranty, I'm gonna have mine checked out soon because I think I'm beginning to hear that sound too

That was $350.00 American. I can't answer the question about lifting the engine. I didn't ask.

Sitting at 115,000 kms so about 75,000 miles. cant see them doing it under warranty. be alot cooler if they could though.

It seems you are saying that the ticking noise is only there right after start up, if that is the case it sounds like you have a lubrication problem not an exhaust manifold problem. I'm not a professional mechanic but I've never heard of an exhaust leak that "goes away".

I bought my trac (with v8) used with 22,000 miles and thought it to be very "rattly" in general on start up for the few seconds, I've found that better oil and apparently freer-flowing oil filter reduce the start-up chatter considerably.

From what i was told is that it is there at start up but it is minor and when the gasket expands with heat it will go away and run normally until the problem gets worse.

It seems you are saying that the ticking noise is only there right after start up, if that is the case it sounds like you have a lubrication problem not an exhaust manifold problem. I'm not a professional mechanic but I've never heard of an exhaust leak that "goes away".

I bought my trac (with v8) used with 22,000 miles and thought it to be very "rattly" in general on start up for the few seconds, I've found that better oil and apparently freer-flowing oil filter reduce the start-up chatter considerably.

I'll have to agree with the above statement. If you used a Fram oil filter, or an aftermarket one made by Fram during your last oil change, there's your problem. Fram is a horrible filter, and causes issues with most V8s that I've owned by not giving full flow.

So If I got my oil changed and used a ford oem filter it would solve my issue?

All I know is I had the work done and the ticking at start up went away. I tried changing the oil and filter multiple times and the problem persisted. Fixing the exhaust manifold fixed the problem.

From what i was told is that it is there at start up but it is minor and when the gasket expands with heat it will go away and run normally until the problem gets worse.

All I know is I had the work done and the ticking at start up went away. I tried changing the oil and filter multiple times and the problem persisted. Fixing the exhaust manifold fixed the problem.

I suppose that could happen, I thought you were talking more about a cracked exhaust manifold than a leaking exhaust gasket. I have had a leaking gasket before and it never got quiet, it was a big leak though.

kingman109; said:
So If I got my oil changed and used a ford oem filter it would solve my issue?

Impossible to say, but if you have a high amount of mileage on your current oil change and/or a cheap filter it may be worth a shot if you can't visually identify an exhaust gasket leak.

In my opinion motorcraft filters have better flow (at least better than the Fram filters I used originally), I think the large oblong intake ports help vs. the circular ports you see in most.

Impossible to say, but if you have a high amount of mileage on your current oil change and/or a cheap filter it may be worth a shot if you can't visually identify an exhaust gasket leak.

In my opinion motorcraft filters have better flow (at least better than the Fram filters I used originally), I think the large oblong intake ports help vs. the circular ports you see in most.

^^^This

It was the exhaust manifold. two bolts snapped. needed new manifold, gaskets, and studs. not sure what the damage is yet but got a guy who moonlights to do it so it will be better than ford pricing.

Back