huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Not sure if this is legitimate, as most e-mails of this nature:

Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #.
I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a friend at Chrysler Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.
The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #,and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to
break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has >to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop
Shop with your vehicle.
You don't believe it? It IS that easy.
To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board.
By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.
I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.
You can put a business card over the VIN #.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard this before, and have always been weary of it. I have had tape over mine for the past two years just in case.

Great Info. Thanks

And in our case anyways, who is programming the Pats key for them? As for a system that is not protected by a security chip, yes it is possible. On the other hand do what you want because if a thief wants your ride they will leave with it.

If you have the pats system just getting a key won't work. Alot of vehicles even new ones don't have anything like the pats system or anything else to deter theft other than the key.

I never thought it would be so easy! :eek:

My dad just said that now (atleast in GA) you have to have the title too if you call the dealer to make you a key. He said that they started doing this after there was a huge group of people stealing lexus's this way.

i'm pretty sure that most dealers require the title to make duplicates...what i wanna know is how you get duplicates for the newer electronic keys (ala lexus,mercedes, new BMW and infiniti) stephen- does you lexus have one of those keys or is it one of the early new ls430's with the regular keys? also does your FX have the nifty "keys in the pocket, turn the lever on the steering column and youre gone" keyless entry system? how do you get duplicates?

edit: i just read your profile and see you have the '04, so you do have the funky keys for the lex

where i work we require picture id and proof of ownership (registration or title)

and that is why I like the PATS system. Although you could push the vehicle there, put it in neutral and tow it, so it doesn't really help much :rolleyes:

its a bunch of crap those rumors have been around forever.... there are countless threads on it... guess what, the same procedure was described in "Gone In 60 Seconds" with Nick Cage and Angelina Jolie several years ago when that movie came out..... thats what they did with the high end audis and porsches they stole....

its possible, but most likely isnt going to happen, dealerships know that this goes on and have taken measures to combat it.. also as discussed in other threads, its illegal to cover up your vin #, and it wouldnt matter anyways, as most vin #s are stamped on the frame itself....

Yeah. That's what I was thinking about. That movie depicted a guy who work at a Mercedes dealership and he got paid $500 for the keys.

I asked my Acura dealership about getting a key made a few weeks ago. They told me that they need the VIN #, my driver's license, and proof of ownership such as the registration or the title of the car. Heh...they also asked for that when I needed the radio anti-theft code so I'm pretty confident that the thieves can, but highly unlikely that they will be able to do that at a dealer that easily.

I'd say this is pretty unlikely. The last thing in the world a dealer (the only source for a VIN-generated key) would want to happen is, to let an unscrupulous employee make side money dispensing keys to thieves.

Think about it: Sooner or later the cops would home in on the source, the story would make the papers, and the dealer would be under serious heat from the manufacturer, the public, and the prosecutor. Possible civil suits from insurance companies, as well.

So, I would imagine there are high hurdles for anyone who'd need a key from a dealer for a car he can't prove he owns.

And even if you fooled the dealer, you'd leave a paper trail, fingerprints, and surveillance-camera evidence behind you.

Thieves prefer darkness.

msmith65 said:
So, I would imagine there are high hurdles for anyone who'd need a key from a dealer for a car he can't prove he owns.

not really i told Buick that i pulled a steering colum from a junk yard, which i did, and they said here you go, the fact that my hands, arms and face were covered in grease helped :D

msmith65 said:
Thieves prefer darkness.

and all the anti theif devices in the world will not stop some guy from walking up behind you while you put your key in the door and saying "I'll take it from here, thank you sir."

My brother had his 1977 Monte Carlo stolen in early 78 and wrecked. The thief did this exact same thing. He merely got the VIN and had a key made. The hook is, The thief was an employee of the dealership where my brother bought the car. This has been going on for years. :mad:

Charlie's_93EB said:
and all the anti theif devices in the world will not stop some guy from walking up behind you while you put your key in the door and saying "I'll take it from here, thank you sir."

Or getting a flatbed, loading your vehicle on it, and driving away. How many people are actually going to question a tow truck driver as to why he is towing a car if it is not yours?

I had a high school friend that started a towing service - unfortunately he was towing vehicles that didn't need assistance. He got busted with upwards of 30 cj's dismantled on his property.

holy **** that is some crazy ass ****.

I better start covering up my vin # with some duct tape so those ####ers won't steal my 01 Sport.

Thanks for the info husky

If they want your vehicle, they will get it. 1 way or the other. This story has been around for many years and no one can get a Pats key except you. No need to freak out over this. If you are driving your vehicle around without an alarm system, then you have been pushing the envelope for some time. It's easier for them to break the window, knock off the steering column and haul buns. 99% of thieves are not going to waste a few bucks to get a key that only opens the doors unless you leave something in the seat they want.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Critical_Level2 said:
Or getting a flatbed, loading your vehicle on it, and driving away. How many people are actually going to question a tow truck driver as to why he is towing a car if it is not yours?

When I managed a towing company I actually had a kid tail me to see where I was taking a car. After a slight out of truck altercation with the dually's lug wrench I noticed a cop and stopped because the kid was still tailing me. The kid kept telling the cop that he wanted to know why I was towing a car off of his street like he was some neighborhood watch junkie or he knew the owner or something along those lines. The cop questioned why the car was being towed and I showed the cop how it was possible that one front tire could point North while the other was able to point South. Then I showed the cop my insurance card for the car in tow and the cop realized that it was my car. At this point the kid was read the riot act because he should have called the police instead of tailing a car thief. Especially one with a big pipe.

Back