• Register Today It's free!

car wont move

abel8a

Reaction score
City, State
Chula Vista California
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ford explorer 4x4
my 95 4x4 explorer all of a sudden just stopped moving while I was driving to work, I would step on the gas and it would move very, very slowly, almost nothing, tranny needs replacement or is it something else? Checked the filter and found shinny metal shavings, any ideas? Thanks Guys and Ladies of course!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

finding metal shavings in the filter is never a good thing. transmission or torque converter.

I know but thinking of getting it rebuilt, good move or not?

It likely would be less expensive to find a good used replacement.

MT

I know but thinking of getting it rebuilt, good move or not?

depending on what they find when they take things apart, it may or may not be rebuild-able. finding a good used one would be much cheaper (maybe $400 vs $2000) but it's not the most durable trans Ford ever produced, so no way to know how long a used one will last. personally I look for a used one and hope I get a good one..

I had similar prob. with my 96 Eddie 5.0 AWD but I think I took a little better care of my car. Tranny fluid & filter changed at apx. 70,000 mil a little while after I bought it from orig. owner. At 100,000 It started to do what yours is doing & I did the fluid & filter again & added 1/2 of a 24 oz. bottle of Lucas transmission fix. I never found a hint of metal shavings only discolored oil. I now have apx. 148,000 mil & tranny has run perfect ever since. I agree with Koda2000 & he is knowledgable. Yours may be spent by now. Usually an un-serviced Explorer tranny will last apx. 80,000 mil. That's why they call them EXPLODERS !

Back