Carb cleaner or Brake cleaner? - Can we get together on this! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carb cleaner or Brake cleaner? - Can we get together on this!

AZExplorer

Reaction score
I have been cleaning my MAS with O2 sensor safe carb cleaner to relieve a pinging for 2+ years with a K@N drop in filter. I then purchased the KKM and a SuperChip. The oil in the KKM filter loads up the MAS filaments 2+ times faster than the K@N drop in. It works but I can only go two months before I am spraying down the filaments again. The brake cleaner sounds like it would clean better, but would it take chunks out of the MAS???
Half of board uses throtle cleaner, and half use brake cleaner. Which is it??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing you should use is an O2 sensor safe carb or throttle body cleaner. Brake cleaner will damage your O2 sensors (at $70.00 a piece, you don't want to do that too often!)

I wouldn't say that half the board uses brake cleaner. The majority has always used O2 sensor safe carb cleaner as is specified in the tech tip.

If brake cleaner was just used on the filaments, then dried completely, the would be none of the cleaners' chemicals added to the intake.

Anyone that has used brake cleaner for over a year care to relate their outcomes??

I use CRC Electronic Cleaner. Works like a champ.
Different Strokes, I guess.

Back