• Register Today It's free!

brake cleaner for MAS?

Turner55

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport 4x4
i'm pretty sure i'm sposed to use brake cleaner to clean the MAS...but just wasnt positive...so...do you use brake cleaner to clean the MAS? i bought some valvoline synform brake cleaner...or something like that...tonight and just wanted to make sure you used brake cleaner on the MAS. Also, i got the screws off with the T-20 bit and now do you take the little sensor off of the little thing it's attached to (i'm doing the best job i can on describing things)...the MAS is attached to the thing that you screw the screws into...do i take the MAS off of it and if so how do i? i glanced at it but it would be nice to know how to take it off before i start.
thanks for the help guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No do not use brake clean!!!!!!!!

Use carb cleaner that is safe for O2 sensors.

The usuall spray is Carburator cleaner. Once you remove the two screw. the sensor pulls strait up, however it may be a little sticky depending on how long it's been since last removed.. There are two wire filiments that look like tiny resistors. These are what you need to spray. There is a small O-ring that you need to look out for (don't lose). Hope this helps.

What did your MAS do to you?

You'll kill the damn thing with brake cleaner!!!!!

hey i didnt know...on the site that everyone says to go to (www.glue.umd.edu/~singletn/web/pages/ping.html) for engine pinging (it has instructions on how to clean the MAS)...it says to use brake cleaner to clean the MAS. ok...so spray some CARB cleaner on it...do i need to take the little cylinder thing that contains the little wires out of the thing that the screws go into to clean it?
thanks

You know what I do? I take the airbox lid off and just shoot the carb cleaner into the opening for the MAS wires. No fuss, no muss and no chance at damaging the the wires.

ok...thanks for the help...i'm sure glad i didnt spray that brake cleaner on it! :D...that website is very misleading(not the link ric posted...but the one i posted)...it says to spray brake cleaner on it...oh well, i'll use that gumout carb cleaner...have a nice day

Back