Career Focus, Job Security

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
I'm sure there are many of you out ther looking for jobs. I graduated may 2002 with my Master's in Mechanical Engineering, but yet have been able to find a job. I am currently employed at the university through contracted research position which I snagged after graduation, however it is not what I want to do as a career. It is more of academic research, FEA, modeling, what I am really interested in is operations, plant design. I admit, I have not been so proactive in my job search, mostly just keeping an eye in online job posts and universities career center, it just seems like there is not much out there. One limiting factor for me is I would like to stay local, or atleast Midwest (IN, KY, TN).

I guess my question is what are employers looking for. What should I expect throughout my career. I guess the old days of finding a good job and keeping it are long gone. I really don't want to be looking for a job every 5 years.

I just had an interview, one of those none specific opening interviews where they go back and see if you qualify for any openings one of there international facilities may have. Seemed like major travel and relocation, one girl worked there 12 years, worked in Nigeria, Russia, Belgiem, Africa, Romania and like 3-4 other US plants. Thats not for me. Is that what I have to look forward to in a Engineering career?

It also seems like there are no entry level jobs, everyone is looking for experience. I am starting to become discouraged. I see myself at Home Depot. Sometimes I wonder if I would be happier there.

Don't work in Automotive...I will tell you that. ;)

Back