Cargo box clearance over moon roof | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo box clearance over moon roof

alexsupertramp

Reaction score
City, State
Portland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer sport
Hi all. I have installed 3rd party cross bars on my 2013 explorer sport that are similar in design to the factory cross bars. however, there is barely a 1/2" clearance from the cargo box clamps and the moon roof. i worry that this is not enough in case i have the cargo box loaded and hit a pot hole. does anyone have experience with this issue? i assume i may be in the market for more beefy cross bars but i like the low profile factory look of the ones i have.
PXL_20210221_205709874.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It is difficult to say if the OEM crossbars would have much more clearance as I haven't ever carried anything on the roof. You could always load it up to the recommended 100 pounds and see how much flex those bars have. I'd be somewhat concerned about your current clearance. One thing to keep in mind is that I recently read that highway driving will increase the total weight of the load.

Peter

no way I would feel comfortable with that clearance...

Hi all. I have installed 3rd party cross bars on my 2013 explorer sport that are similar in design to the factory cross bars. however, there is barely a 1/2" clearance from the cargo box clamps and the moon roof. i worry that this is not enough in case i have the cargo box loaded and hit a pot hole. does anyone have experience with this issue? i assume i may be in the market for more beefy cross bars but i like the low profile factory look of the ones i have.View attachment 327808
no way I would feel comfortable with that clearance...
thanks for your replies. yes, i agree that this clearance isn't close to sufficient. for now i'm only carrying skis so i'll keep an eye on it. good to know about the load increasing while the vehicle is in motion. makes sense. my next move will be to research other cargo boxes to see if they have a less beefy clamp.

I hear you on wanting that sleek factory look with your cross bars. I had a similar concern with my old roof rack setup on a road trip. Ended up opting for cross bars with adjustable heights, kinda like box vans—gave me more peace of mind on rough roads. Maybe exploring beefier options with adjustable clearance could be worth a shot.

I hear you on wanting that sleek factory look with your cross bars. I had a similar concern with my old roof rack setup on a road trip.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back