Does anyone else have this moon roof? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone else have this moon roof?

deamon3

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
When I bought my explorer It already had a moon roof in it , And I thought neato! But I'm starting to think it's not stock. The buttons to control it are to small , and don't match the rest of the cars buttons. That and the ceiling is shaped funny, and the power wires for it are just wedged into the fuse panel. It also just barely fits in between the roof ridges.

I think somebody along the way installed a moon roof from a different car into mine. So I'm wondering , does anyone else have this moon roof that shares this ones characteristics?

(note it's a moon roof so it pops up and pulls back completely into the roof, not just pops up)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mines like that, but the button is integrated into the overhead temp/compass console, looks like my window buttons...
(Sorry mines a little dirty)
SANY0188.jpg

SANY0189.jpg

SANY0190.jpg

Whats yours look like? (pics?)

Is yours a second gen?

Mine doesn't look like that , the slideing cover looks different and the buttons too , I'll take a pic of it.

yea mines a 95, didnt know 1st gens had ones that slid, stock ones just flipped up, and could be taken out

The only sunroof/moonroof/astroroof that the 91-94 Explorers had, were the Manual Powered units. The power units did not appear until the redesign in 1995.

Since you have a Power Unit in a 91-94 Explorer, it can only be aftermarket.

I cut my roof and added a Manual Sunroof. If I would have waited, I could have installed the Power Sunroof that is in my `97. The locations are slightly different, so they aren't even cross compatible.

The Power Sunroofs are placed in the roof about 2 inches farther back than the Manual Sunroofs.

Ryan

heres what it looks like

vlcsnap1493805.jpg

vlcsnap1494180.jpg

vlcsnap1494284.jpg

Ok so I figured out that the sunroof is made by ASC (American Sunroof Corporation). One of the buttons says asc on it , duh. lol . The only weird thing tho , they only have two locations. One in LA , and one in San Diego. Certainly would explain why someone went to the trouble of getting one , but how did the car end up here in the cheese state? lol

There is/was also an ASC in Michigan. I've seen a few Ex's with those, and that's what they look like. I have a picture of another one too, in a second gen. They put that little control panel right in the middle of the overhead console light- it looked like crap. Looks better in the 1st Gen. I've also seen those roofs in several Taurus' as well... A lot of them were installed in the same plant that built the ASC McLaren Mustang offshoot.

Well it looks pretty nice, I think its bigger than my 95's too...#######
lol jk
but yeah, does it leak or anything? any probs?

Not it doesn't leak at all. The only problem is that it struggles to close when nearing the closed position. And it struggles to open , so I have to usually tap the button to get it to open , but it still always opens and closes , so whatever. lol

i have a 93 limited, my X has a power moon roof, my buttons are below the steering wheel on the right, it was ASC installed, but before i had it...

Funny How these explorers travel, bought my x in wyoming, now its in mississippi, and it had the moon roof installed god knows where.

Were these perhaps be dealer specials? I usually see dealers with one really nice truck out front with noob mods on it (brush gaurd , running boards , visors , ect.....).

Back