• Register Today It's free!

Cargo Box Question

robby001

Reaction score
City, State
Billings MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Eddie Bauer
I had been looking and looking for quite sometime on whether a cargo box can be safely mounted to the top of my 03 explorer with the factory bars. After an extensive search I have finally been convinced that they will be able to carry the load and wind gusts. Now I am trying to decide on which box and brand I want to go with. I have been looking at the Thule 604 - ascent 1600 it is 16 cubic feet. The other is a Yakima Skybox 16 again 16 cubic feet. The question I have is has any of you used either of these on there trucks and what your experiences are with them thanks for any feedback.

604.jpg

Thule

skybox16.jpg

Yakima

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you taalking about fitting the box directly to the cross bars without buying the Thule footpack and aerobars?

If so, let me know how you get on. I'm looking at a roofbox and if I can fit it to the factory bars it'll save me NZ$300 !!

Yeah that’s what I was looking at doing. I purchased the factory cross bars from one of the Ford dealers here in town for 125.00 for all parts. We have three large dealers here and they were all different prices. The bars were extremely easy to put on.

After some deliberations, I decided to go with the Thule 604. Bought it at a local Scheels for 429.00 Box looks great on the truck. Had to head back to ND so we took it as the maiden trip. The truck did really well with it on. Had to close the sunroof glare shade because wind noise was a bit louder. But it was to be expected. We drove at 82 mph all the way. With wind gusts up to 50 mph and had no problems. On the way there we got about 15.3 mpg average and on the way back with out all the wind we got about 16.9 average. 17.4 is our regular average before so not too much off. I will get some pics up of how it looks and how it mounts on the bars if you would like.

Over all very very pleased so far…

i got one no problems. . Its a thule paid about $200 for it.

Attachments

• P5230118b.jpg
    P5230118b.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 312

Some pictures of how you mounted it would be great. I bought my 03 XLT a couple of days ago, and it already has the crossbars on it.

Thanks

Sure will. Can't do so until monday but I will get them up.

not to hijack too much, but you are from beautiful billings, what did ND have to offer you?

I am originally from Bismarck ND. We headed back there to do taxes and so the kids can see there nana (apparently the new name for hip grandmother ) My thoughts were what better place to test a new box on the exploder than a great natural wind tunnel. :)

Back