2004 fuse box question

p-funk

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hey everyone. New member here.

I have a 2004 Explorer XLT. I installed a backup camera and am trying to hard wire it. The problem I'm having is the fuse box diagram in the owners manual doesn't seem to match what I'm seeing.

The manual says that fuse 28 should be for the radio. I pulled it, but when I turned the key to the "accessory" position to test it, the radio still came on.

There are also some fuse locations that are listed as "unused" in the manual, but have fuses in them.

Is there more than one fuse box layout for the 04 XLT?????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is an early build and late build, though I don't know exactly what years it applies too. Can you take a pic of your box and post it?

I'll compare it to my 04 OE Electrical Manual.

Also, let us know what camera product you purchased and where you plan to put it.

I'll try to get some decent pictures of the fuse box later today. Tried this morning, but it's in a really tough place to get a good pic.

The sticker on the door says it was manufactured in August of 2004.

I installed a Peak reverse camera with a 4.3 in screen. Had to move the camera to the bottom of the license place, as opposed to the top. When mounted on top of the plate it was too close to the latch handle for the gate. It works great so far! Just need to get it hard wired so I don't have to use the 12v accessory adapter. I'll take pictures and post them after everything is done.

Aug 04 would be a 2005 model.

You can do two things with the camera, not sure it's power requirements.
From the battery or source, run a wire to a relay. Tap into the reverse lights to activate the relay and send power to the camera.
You may be able to just get power directly from the reverse lights themselves by tapping into their wire.

I should clarify....I need two power sources. The first is for the camera itself. I did tap directly into the wiring for the reverse light from the left tail light. BTW...the clips provided are worthless. Soldering is the only way to go.

The second power source is for the monitor/screen, and that's the one that's giving me trouble.

Maybe you figured that out and I'm just not understanding your answer...which wouldn't be the first time I've been confused! :confused:

Makes sense that the layout could be 2005. I'll check it out.

Looks like the same layout from 2004 to 2005.

Maybe I'm missing something. Fuse 28 [5 amp] is labeled "Radio (Start)" That's the one I pulled but didn't seem to effect the radio. Fuse 3 [20 amp] is labeled "Radio, Amplifier, DVD". Anyone know the difference? The radio I have is the stock CD/AM/FM and no DVD player is in the truck.

The radio should have two hot wires. One is hot all the time for the radio memory. The second one is only hot when the key is on so the radio will play. Don' know why there is fuses in the unused blocks.

Looks like the same layout from 2004 to 2005.

Maybe I'm missing something. Fuse 28 [5 amp] is labeled "Radio (Start)" That's the one I pulled but didn't seem to effect the radio. Fuse 3 [20 amp] is labeled "Radio, Amplifier, DVD". Anyone know the difference? The radio I have is the stock CD/AM/FM and no DVD player is in the truck.

I have the 2004 Ford Factory Wiring Diagram book.

Fuse 28 in Central Junction Box is hot in start only. Feeds audio unit on Green/Yellow wire.

Fuse 3 in Central Junction box is hot all times. Feeds audio unit on White/Yellow wire. This is for memory.

Fuse 6 in Battery Junction box (under hood) is hot via the Accessory Delay Relay. Feeds audio unit on Black/Pink wire.

I have the 2004 Ford Factory Wiring Diagram book.

Fuse 28 in Central Junction Box is hot in start only. Feeds audio unit on Green/Yellow wire.

Fuse 3 in Central Junction box is hot all times. Feeds audio unit on White/Yellow wire. This is for memory.

Fuse 6 in Battery Junction box (under hood) is hot via the Accessory Delay Relay. Feeds audio unit on Black/Pink wire.

Thanks! That's very helpful. Looks like I'll need to find a different, smaller amp fuse to tap for the display that powers in start. Maybe rear wipers or something.

Edit: Just did some poking around in the fuse box under the hood. I'm thinking of tapping 42, 43 (10 amp left/right low beams) or 45 (2 amp brake pressure switch). Most likely 45 unless someone knows of a reason not to.

Why wouldn't you just tap into that Black/Pink wire? It will power up when you turn the key to "ON." It will have power when you shut your engine off but stay on (delay) until you open your door.

Why wouldn't you just tap into that Black/Pink wire? It will power up when you turn the key to "ON." It will have power when you shut your engine off but stay on (delay) until you open your door.

I'll look into that option, too. Would avoid having to sneak through the firewall to get to the outside fuse box.

Back