Cargo mats that cover the gap bet 2nd & 3rd row seats? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo mats that cover the gap bet 2nd & 3rd row seats?

TomFree

Reaction score
City, State
Novato, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Limited
I'm getting my new-to-me '07 ready for a cross country drive, trying to address the interior first. I have new floormats on the way, a Grom Audio adapter for iPod and Bluetooth through the stock head unit, a couple of Illusion speakers for the front doors, and now I'm in the cargo area.

All of the commercially available cargo mats that I found(Weathertech, etc.) only extend to the back of the 2nd row seats. Does anyone make a mat that extends all the way to the 1st row seat backs? (I kinda doubt it, as my powers of Google-Fu are usually pretty good.)

Assuming I'm correct, does anyone on the forums make such a thing? Anyone have a link to a build thread for one?

Truthfully, I'm not really worried about protecting the interior of the vehicle as much as I'm interested in covering the gap between the 2nd and 3rd row seats when they're laid flat. I'd really like a piece that fills that gap so I don't have to worry about my dog falling in the gap. She's used to running around the cargo area of my old Tahoe, as it had a completely flat, contiguous floor when you put the 2nd row seats down and pulled the 3rd row out.

Worst case, I'll make it myself with some plyboard and some automotive carpet from the upholstery shop. If someone has blazed the trail before me, I'd love to know what you've done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i feel your pain. I made one that covers both when i worked at a conveyer belt company. I would call columbia rubber products and ask them to sell you a piece of belt. see if they have used, old or end piece of belt. They probally be happy to sell them to you since they have to dispose of it like a tire.

jaosn

i feel your pain. I made one that covers both when i worked at a conveyer belt company. I would call columbia rubber products and ask them to sell you a piece of belt. see if they have used, old or end piece of belt. They probally be happy to sell them to you since they have to dispose of it like a tire.

jaosn

Heck of a good idea. I'll see what I can find out from them tomorrow.

what is the word on your project

I called Columbia, but the person I ended up speaking with really didn't know what to do with my request. I didn't press, so I went with my idea to fab up something with some hinges and plyboard.

The cargo area is a little over 6' long from the back of the center console to the rear hatch. At the narrowest point, it's a little over 44" wide.

I bought a 4x8 sheet of interior-grade plyboard, as their exterior grade stuff looked like garbage at Home Depot that day. I had it ripped to 44" wide, and I had the board cut into 24" sections, with the last one being a little less than 24" due to kerf.

I bought (4) 4" strap hinges, (4) 6" barrel bolts, a 15' long bolt of black automotive carpet that was 48" wide.

I wrapped each section of plyboard with the carpet, using a stapler to tack the carpet down neatly to the board. I then screwed in the hinges to make the 3 boards I used fold into a Z pattern (easier to store, easier to carry). I screwed in the barrel bolts opposite the hinges to lock the boards into place for no pinched paws when the dog is running around the cargo area.

It fits nicely and covers the gap pretty well. The disadvantage? It's heavy. 3/4" plyboard is not light. It's a tradeoff I"m willing to live with. I'll take some pics and post soon.

Back