• Register Today It's free!

Carrying kayaks

SGF

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer
I want to carry two touring kayaks on my 94 Explorer. They weigh about 140 lbs. total. I'll be carrying one boat most of the time but want the capability to carry two for the occasions when I need it.

By the time I'm done adding up the pieces a "mount to my roof rack" system from the well known rack manufacturers will cost me about $250. That seems like a lot of money considering the vehicle already has a 300 lb. capable roof rack.

Has anyone found a less expensive, safe, solution, other than foam blocks? If I have to spend the money I will but I'm hoping there is a cheaper, good, alternative.

SGF

WHen I used to carry both my roomates z's we just put them on the roof and fashioned 4 pieces of foam (similar to the ones you use for hip supports) to keep the kayaks from sliding off the 4 corners. Then used ratchet straps to hold them on for the 80mile journey to the play spot. Not the bext system, it caused a few scrathes on both kayaks, but it worked.

If you're going to be doing this often, I recommend getting a good kayak holder. In the long run using it will be easier and safer for you and the boats.

Also, don't forget to secure the ends of the boats to your bumpers.

Back