Hitch vs roof?

Essex4x4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Johnston Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
Alright so I have done my fair share of research and now want the opinion of who ever wants to give it. I have a 2006 with a class II hitch. (1 1/4") I also have the side rails on my roof rack. I can easily buy cross rails that isn't the question here. What I am looking for is what do you use more your roof rack or your tow hitch? Should I get the cross rails or a cargo basket?

I see ups and downs to both.

The good:
Roof rack: carry larger and longer cargo like ladders or my kayaks, still has the ability to carry a cargo basket or box
Hitch mounted cargo rack: can carry up to 300lbs, fuel economy benifits, is removable

The bad:
Roof Rack: height increase and lowered fuel economy when not in use (although .00000001mpg isn't really something to worry about.)
usually limited to about 175lbs (aftermarket non ford product)
Hitch mount cargo rack: height of cargo can cover plates, limited access to rear door, when driving in muddy or snowy conditions the cargo can get much dirtier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i live and delaware and just recently took my explorer on a road trip to florida. seeing as though mine sits 7 people we figured it would work perfect for the trip even though there was 5 of us going.

i had the same problem as you, do i put alot of luggage on top and have it eat away at my mpg? or spend more money and get a cargo rack for the hitch?

a buddy at work was actually selling his never been used cargo rack for 70$ so i went ahead and got that. now keep in mind i also have the 1 1/4 receiver so i needed an adapter to go from 1 1/4 - 2". after installing both of them i loaded some stuff on it and even though it wasnt stacked too high i could still open the tail gate with out a problem.

plus since it was such a long drive i just had a tarp and wrapped it around the luggage and use some tie downs and it kept everything dry. we even drove back during the hurricane that hit de, nj, and ny.

moral of the story. go with the cargo rack, you wont be disappointed.

why did you need a hitch adaptor?

So you say hitch mount cargo basket vs roof?
How much mpg do you think would be lost when carrying a cargo box up top?

i needed the adapter because my hitch is 1 1/4" but the cargo rack i got was for 2". i havent gotten a 2" hitch yet, but the adapter was only 20$ at advance auto.

as far as mpg loss with the roof i would say it might be a pretty big loss, depending on how far you are going.

i strapped a kayak on top of my roof rack during the summer for a beach trip and it went down alot. i only live about 20 miles from the beach and without the kayak i would get 20-21mpg, with it it went down to 17-18mpg.

so since i was driving 1000 miles each way i figured i'd eat the price of a cargo rack because then i can use it any other time i need it. and it didnt hurt my mpg on that trip. but if i had put the stuff on my roof no matter how many times i used it i would always see that drop in mpg.

if you want i can put it on tomorrow and take some pics just so then you know what it would look like.

Hell yea that would be awesome if you posted some pictures:thumbsup:! I am looking at a Rhino-Rack roof rails since they are removable and would only install them when needed but a cargo basket seems so much more usable. I just want it for snow trips. I can put our jackets, boots and snow gear onto the rack since it is all light fluffy stuff. May or may not get roof rails still but that is for later if needed.

Back