Cat-Back for 2 doors...or dual straight pipes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cat-Back for 2 doors...or dual straight pipes

Francis

Reaction score
Hi,,,

I want to give my truck a better exhaust system and a nice sound!!! Since cat-back systems for the sport 2 doors seems to have disapeared: Borla-discontinuated...Dynomax-disc. etc...
I wonder if anyone know about cat-back for a two doors...

My other tought was to install headers and put on dual pipes till the rear... I don't have the spare tire below the truck anymore so I think I have place... I just don't don't know wath it will involve...I sure need 2 mufflers and two cat but...HAS ANYONE EVER Done THat???
Any advices or comments would be very appreciated...

THANX,,

------------------
Francis
92 Sport 4X4
88 Bronco II 4X4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey you can do it and I have seen it done. I will give you a round estimate.Headers for the truck ( borla-like three something , hedman - 200.00) My shop that did the other guys did this , he ran a cat off of each header and of the header ran thicker pipe than stock to a flowmaster 40 series and straight out the back into echo tips. The whole system will cost you around 499.98 for the hedman headers and around six hundred for the borla. Its expensive but if you have the money it is worth it, it gave him a good fifty more horespower, it will burn the tires off the truck now, ( and he runs thirty two inch mud tires like I do). Hope this helps, prices will probably vary because our muffler shop is run by a friend of mine and gave us a few discounts.

------------------
Ryan Jones
98 eddie baurer 4x4
2 inch lift
32x11.50 buckshots
manik brush gaurd and go rhino tail light gaurds
hella black majik driving light
jbl door speakers and kicker fifteen

92 explorer with two inches of lift
30x9.50 mud kings

mrjones98e@hotmail.com

Francis,

You are in the same boat as me. i heard flowmastr makes a cat-back but have not checked to far into it. I raised h*** with borla about the cat back finally gave up and ordered headers instead. I like the power I got from them but I still have the stock muffler Dead Link Removed They just dont like us 2-door owners for some reason.

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
1992 Navajo Lx 5-speed
attempting 4x4 convertion
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

You should be able to go to just about any custom muffler making shop and have them make one for you. I had a flowmaster put on mine with 2.5" piping custom made for a decent price. Its all welded in also, with something of a lifetime warrenty. Basically there is a Meineke which is owned by a guy who owns a EB and all the other guys who work there have some kind of 4x4 rig so they do some amount of custom stuff that way. These guys will do any kind of setup you want. You should be able to find a shop that does custom stuff like that for you.

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport

Thanx guys,

I'm pretty decided about the dual pipes setup... I'm going to ask in a muffler shop what they think. I just saw a friend yesterday who own a metalshop and he said he has the machine to bend the pipes so I could do it myself...just bought a brand new welding machine this week(220volts...wow this thing is better than my old 110 volts!!!).

My head never stop thinking about those thinks and I tough that maybe I will try to run the tips of the pipes trought my bumber...I would gain clearance and It would be nice...

I'll give feedback when done..

Ciao!

------------------
Francis
92 Sport 4X4
88 Bronco II 4X4

Hey for those two doors owner... I just had a reply from explorer express who said that they have 2 Dynomax cat back systems for the 2 doors 91-94 explorer in stock....

Just a tought...

------------------
Francis
92 Sport 4X4
88 Bronco II 4X4

I installed a FLOW MASTER cat back on my 93' Sport. It was a dissappointment: the muffler mounted over the stock bracket (which I had to cut out), it hits the shock and didn't exit correctly. Plus I had to buy two new mounts. However, it does sound good.
I recommend buying a good 21/2" muffler and have a shop do a custom install. The price would be about the same as the system. Furthermore, keep it simple-the 4L isn't a 7000 RPM SCREAMER.

Alright, does anyone with a 2dr have split dual exits, if so how was it routed? If not what did you do and how do you like it? I was told I couldn't put split rear exits. Anyone heard of Flo pro, they looked pretty good and the chart said they had a higher flow rate than a flowmaster or any other. Thanks

------------------
'91 2 dr Eddie Bauer
modified air box
K&N filter
MUCH MORE TO COME

Back