• Register Today It's free!

Cat-Back Systems??

Tourture

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I just got off the phone with Flowmaster, they tell me that they do not make a cat-back system for a 93 4-door explorer.
Magnaflow appears to be the same way.
Who makes cat-back systems for this truck, and what are your opinions on them?

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to your local muffler shop and tell them to put a Magnaflow or Flowmaster (I prefer Magnaflow) on your truck with a "custom" tailpipe. Oftentimes, this ends up being much cheaper than buying a full catback system, having it shipped, and installed. Usually this "custom" setup costs under $200 and is just as good as a full catback system. All a catback system is is a muffler and tailpipe anyway. The only probable difference between a locally built system and an ordered catback system is if the tailpipe is mandrel bent or not. Mandrel bent tubes are better, but not really necessary in the scope of our wimpy 4.0's.

So, go down to your local muffler shop and tell them you want a Magnaflow muffler with a 2.25" tailpipe. They'll hook you right up.

alec, can i ask you why u prefer the magnaflow? do you run it oun yours?

I prefer Maganflow because 1) the sound is usually mellower and 2) not enough people prefer them :) It's worked really well on my truck and at the time was $50 cheaper than a comparable Flowmaster. I've had mine for about 2.5 years with absolutely no problems.

Gimp, I don't run them much on the street anymore because some of my friends give me crap about them and also because I don't want to piss off any cops. The few times I've had cops pass me at night with them on they didn't say anything. I even asked a few cops one night when I was at a restaurant eating dinner and they said they didn't care. The thing is, they're yellow and below a 55W brightness. This classifies them as running lights and not headlights, fogs, or signal lights. There are some TX laws about a max number of running lights, but 1) these don't break them and 2) there are so many rigs that break the law that it's not enforced.

The only reason I can see them as a problem are if someone thinks they're road construction lights or something. But since they alternate in both directions, they can't be seen as "move over" lights.

wait Alec isn't the stock exhaust diameter 2.5"?

mine was 2", for sure less than 2.25.

Back