Cat, muffler, and piping replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cat, muffler, and piping replacement

tenacioush

Reaction score
City, State
corpus christi texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 E.B. 4.6L 4x2
Well, I looked at my Ex's underside today and found out a little something about the exhaust system...

• The headers are reeeally small, and there is no space for anything much bigger.... there go some of my hopes of aftermarket headers.
  • After the pre-cats, the main cat is about the size of a small boulder and is only separated from the muffler by about three inches of pipe.
  • Everything but the downpipe-cat connection is welded... so much for easy installation.
  • There are no O2 sensors. cool.

So, provided that my observations were accurate, I should be able to drop out the stock system from the behind the headers, (I bet straight headers sounds sick on this big V8!) salvage the stock piping, and replace the cat and muffler.

I guess I can go with a Magnaflow 94006 Universal Catalytic Converter, a Hushpower II or Delta Flow from Flowmaster, and the stock piping from the muffler back with a nice tip. All of the piping is 2.5" (im pretty sure) and I think the rest should be basic welding and bolting.

Cost? Id say about $350 - $450. The cat and muffler would each be about $125 each, the tip would be about $35 - $50, and the installation would be $100 - $150 depending where I go.

Wish me luck, and any input is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have 4 o2 sensors, there should be one in front of the cats, and one between the front and rear cat on each side.

Ok but none from the downpipe back that I can see. Given, I only checked once so Ill check again.

I think its better off going with the flowmasters cause i got dual 40 series flows on my 01 sport and it sounds real loud and deep.

But they are only 2 1/2 inch tips but i wanna get them bigger like 3 or 3 1/2 inch.

The factory headers on these engines work well; there's no reason to change them. There is no "main cat", there are just the two on the headpipes. The big thing before the muffler is a resonator. The pipe is 3" before the resonator, 2 3/4" after (if I remember correctly), and the tailpipe is 2 1/2".

I've run just about every aftermarket muffler out there at one time or another, on different vehicles. I tried Gibson for the first time for this one. It was relatively cheap ($350), and it sounds great - nice tone, NO drone. It's all 3", with a 3 1/2" stainless tip.

I did it.

A few days ago I installed a Flow 40 Series in place of the stock muffler and resonator... it sounds great. Like, really really good. If you guys want Ill post pictures of the stock and final setups.

So you replaced the large resonator with a straight-pipe? How does it sound (what's the difference with/without)? would this affect performance?

I replaced my system with a Magnaflow cat-back but I believe the installer left the large resonator (I thought that was the cat???)

can you please type into details what you did into getting it done. i'm very interested in putting a muffler on my 07 ironman edition :) thank you very much. really appreciate it. sounds great!

can you please type into details what you did into getting it done. i'm very interested in putting a muffler on my 07 ironman edition :) thank you very much. really appreciate it. sounds great!

I just cut out the stock resonator and muffler, welded in a magnaflow Muffler. Sorry I don’t know which one. My exhaust guy supplied it. Then just cut about 12 inches off the end and welded a new tip on.

I posted some pics in this post:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1508952#post1508952

Anyone with a V6 done exhaust work? A friend of mine owns a muffler shop and he claims that on the newer V6"s the exhaust, cats, everything but the muffler is sized well and that with a simple muffler change you can pick up some ponies. Just wondering if anyone has actually done this.

Back