Exhaust leak between muffler and cat. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust leak between muffler and cat.

uh60james

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport (Dora), '06 XLT
Behind the cat's where the exhaust pipe and the muffler pipe meet there is a clamp of sorts holding the too pieces together. There are two bolts running through it and a the nuts appear to be welded onto the cat side. My problem is that the spring on the outside bolt has broken so that side of the pipe droops down some and exhaust leaks from there, it sounds terrible. The bolts are siezed up pretty good but I might be able to get them out or cut them and get a replacement. Does anyone know if the spring can be bought by itself? I assume the clamp is part of the cat pipe, too much $$$ to replace that. Any help, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ditch the springs, in later model years Ford did the same thing.
Cut the bolts, replace with new, tighten and be done with it.

An exhaust shop could make this repair for you for under $100 easy I am thinking.

The bolts can be pretty well rusted, but usually the thread is ok so you can just unscrew them. You can get replacement bolts with the spring at auto parts stores, I know I've seen them in the red Help! packs, need to buy two, make sure you're getting the right ones. Of course, you can also just get some regular bolts as suggested, but the spring ones seem to be part of the design for the cone gasket there. Get the old bolts off, spend $10-15 on the new ones and you're good to go.

I had the same problem recently, my flange rusted and broke off leaving badly rusted bolts behind . I cut off the bolts, bought a "split flange" from Auto Zone for $4.99.
I was not sure how important the springs were and I did not replace the gasket either. I was worried about damaging my exaust by not replacing the springs but my local muffler shop wanted 55 bucks to fix it. That seemed kind of steep to me. What do you folks think?

Do you happen to know the part number of the flange? I just looked on there website and there wasn't one list for a 93 4x4 just a flange gasket.

According to my info, you are looking for part number 5E241. My manual is for a 1992, but the part number should be the same for 1993. Hope it helps.

I cant find the reciept but I will try to stop down there and get the part number.
It was in with the generic muffler parts though, I didnt go in and ask for it by vehicle type or year.

part# 17149 2 1/4" -2 1/2" split flange

That number does not come up on the website though.

The exhuast flanges are held in place by spring bolts which can be purchased at some autoparts stores or the dealer (but may be pricey)... If the flanges are still in decent condition then just use a grinder or dremel with a cut off wheel and replace with a new bolt.

Thanks for the part no.

Back