• Register Today It's free!

Causes of engine running rough

Premierexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Portland/Corvallis OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer 4.6
My 92 explorer runs rough at idle. I have a new fuel pressure regulator, iac, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires also cleaned maf and injectors yet i still have a rough idle. Anyone have ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did you clean the injectors? How is your air filter and throttle body? I would definitely reccomend taking off your IAC (idle air control) valve and clean that... cleared up some of my troubles. keep me posted :) I've got a 1994 XL 4.0L OHV and my dad has a 97 aerostar... 4.0L OHV

Cleaning the IAC would be a good first step.
If that doesn't do it, then I would pull codes from the computer. Some faults don't trigger the check engine light to come on. Even if you get all pass codes, that can be worth knowing.
A new fuel pressure regulator doesn't mean that the fuel pressure is correct. I would verify the fuel pressure.

the iac is about 3 months old so i dont think it will need to be cleaned. I will try pulling codes to start with.

Check for vacuum leaks. Make sure all caps are on the unused lines on the "octopus" tight and that none of the lines have cracks in them.

Back