Replaced engine, running rough?

29Rat

Reaction score
City, State
“Optional”
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2003 Ford Explorer 4.0l flex fuel awd

So my 2003 engine timing chains gave out, picked up a 2004 Explorer and swapped the engines. I used the 2003's spark plugs (2004s were bad), intake, injectors, valve covers, exhaust manifold, and harness.

The 2004 ran fine, had a bad transmission 100k miles.

Are the spark plugs different? No codes or cel. Just idles really rough, accelerator pedal is laggy, like revs up a bit, then a lot. Have to give gas to start, if not on gas will die after about 10 seconds. Spark plug wires are wired correctly.

Any sensor that comes to mind that I didn't plug in? Not sure where to start, only diagnostic tool I have is torque pro app.

Wires are easy to damage. I’d start with new wires and appropriate Motorcraft plugs.

Make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks.

Got back from work with a can of starting fluid, found my leak, forgot about that ccv hose from the valve cover to intake on the driver's side. I even said to myself when removing the intake originally "I'm so going to forget about this hose" lol. Now if only I could find the hose itself.... No shop, so probably set it on the back of my truck and drove off with it on there lol, will have to go buy one or go to the junk yard. Plug on the intake and she runs good, still need to drive it though and make sure trans fluid is full, god I hate how these don't have a dipstick for the transmission.

Back