CD Changer and rear control problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CD Changer and rear control problems

Drdehnana

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
Hey everyone,

I have a 1997 Explorer with the 6-disk CD changer and rear audio controls. A couple months ago I noticed that whenever I push the CD button, the radio displays "NO DJ". I am still able to eject the magazine, so it looks like I've got power. I've checked to make sure nothing was jammed and I've made sure the wiring harness in the back of the head unit and at the changer was secure. I tried disconnecting the battery and radio wiring harness to reset it, but that did not work. I eventually decided that it just went bad and bought a stock CD changer off eBay that had been tested working. When I got the changer and plugged it in, I got the NO DJ message again. I tried to reset it again by disconnecting the battery, but that didn't do anything. I ended up returning that changer.

Also, around the same time, I discovered that my rear audio controls were also not working. I've already tried the 3&5 button combo on the radio to unlock it, but pushing the two buttons does nothing. After some research on this website it determined that it might be a fuse issue. So I checked fuse 29 (labeled "audio system" in my manual) and it looked good, but I swapped it with another just to be safe and still nothing. Again, I've checked the harness on the back of the head unit and it is connected securely.

Ok, almost done. I looked under the cup holders in the center console at the wiring going back to the CD changer and rear controls and found a section of wire that didn't have insulation.
Here's a picture:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7On_-9MhOaYSkV1cUdHLUl5RXM/edit?usp=sharing

Would that be related to the problem? I'm thinking that there's a wiring issue somewhere because both CD changer and rear controls went out together and a known-working stock CD changer still did not register with the radio. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Yes, I know I could go aftermarket with USB and all, but I want to see if I can fix this because I like the stock setup. Thanks!

Back