Cd changer wiring harness? where to buy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cd changer wiring harness? where to buy?

gregsz

Reaction score
City, State
toledo,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
ok, a few questions....firstly where can i find the cheapest wiring harness for a 97 xlt ford cd changer? i did a search and found this http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=771 but thats 40 bucks!. is it the right harness at least, does anyone know of a cheaper one?

also, how do i remove the console, and radio to gain access to run the harness? does the harness completly replace the stock unit, or does it just add the cd changer wiring to the existing harness? are there any tricks removing this stuff other then just start unscrewing all the little bolts in there?

thanks for the help.

Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Matt just bought a harness for his truck recently... I'm sure he can tell you... I sent him an e-mail, hopefully he'll chime in here soon...

Honestly, looks like a decent price for that harness.

yeah I got mine at radiosand more... much cheaper then the dealership and honestly it was worth it. The dealer couldn't even find the piece I was looking for and once they found one that "might" work, it was like $75! Plus they make it super easy. Remove the deck (you can get the tool for like $3 at auto zone, or just bend some hangers, stick em in the holes, pry outward, and remove the deck), unplug the connector, plug that into the opposite connector on the adapter kit you'll get from radiosandmore, then run the other connector to your deck (this will make sense when you see it), then run the other end to your CD changer. Couldn't be much easier!

ok, thanks. which harness do i need though.....

xu3f-14588-da
CD Changer Harness, Long Version
Ford

6 Disc Radio Controlled CD Changer Harness
Ford

f8ff-14588-ea
Ford Retro-Fit for 1995 - 1998 Explorer (Non-distributed systems)
Ford

F88F-18C829-BA
CONSOLE INSTALLATION KIT
Ford

this is a link to the listings above....pages 2 and 3
http://www.radiosandmore.com/harnesses.asp?whichpage=2

these all sound like they would work, but they are probably all different. any ideas? thanks.

greg

My guess would be the short version... You only need a cable that is like 6' long to get from the rear of your deck to the console...

couldn't tell ya for sure... mine was a bit different I think since it was for my f-150... your best bet is to email the guy at radiosandmore... forget his name but hes very knowledgeable... he'll tell you for sure.
Another cool thing about him is he ships overnight as standard delivery. I've ordered 3 or 4 times and each time pay like $7 for shipping, the next day there it is!

thanks matt, yeah, i sent an email just the the info address at that site friday morning. hope they write back soon. i found that for all those models i gave there is a link that tells you what car they are for. and not one is my 97 XLT, except the "retro fit" one. im not sure what they mean by 'retro fit' and 'non distributed systems.' does this sound like something i dont need? i hope to find out soon from that website or someone here if anyone knows, cause the changer should be here early next week. thanks again

Back