CD/Radio work fine, but no display | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CD/Radio work fine, but no display

JSterling

Reaction score
City, State
Yukon, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Hello all.

Just curious if anyone knows how to fix this.

The CD/Radio work just fine, but the display has gone out. I can't see FM station/CD Track/Clock info anymore. Is this something I would be able to fix?

I have a '98 XLT w/ the Mach soundsystem.

Thanks for any help you guys might have.

JSterling

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for dis infamous for that happening i don't know what causes it but it can't be fixed i justed freaked out when you said it was a 98 it usually happens to 91-94s. look at www.ebay.com search under ford explorer they sometimes have radios. or look under www.car-part.com .you might want to take it to the ford dealership maybe they have found a way to fix the newer years.

The display problems we had with the radios in 91-94 was completely different than the situation with the '98. In the older radios, it was actually a light bulb that lit up the LCD display that burnt out. The fix in later production units was to use a halogen replacement bulb (with longer life).

In the 1998 Dual Media radios, we are having some issues with heat. Try disconnecting the battery cables and re-connecting. That MAY reset the unit. If the display still doesn't work, you should contact your dealer or send the radio to the nearest authorized Ford Radio Repair Center.

Regards,
Jeff

Thanks for the response. I'll try the battery thing. I have noticed an excess amount of heat coming from the unit. The display comes on randomly if it doesn't come on when I start up the Explorer. If it comes on, it will stay on until I turn off the Explorer. Strange. If the battery disconnect doesn't reset it, I'll go have it checked out.

Thanks again for the info!

JSterling
'98 XLT

I do'nt know about new models, but I was told on the 91-94's that there is a seperate fuse for the radio and display, that causes the problem. I do not know first hand, just passing it on.

------------------

91 Sport
"Drive it like ya stold it"

Back