Reaction score
City, State
Dillingham, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Sport
OK CEL came on so I scanned the OBDII and came up with the code:

P0430

any idea what it means?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P0430 = Catalyst Efficiency Low Fault Bank B

Cool, thanks for the reply.

Ahhh...does anybody know what:

Catalyst Efficiency Low Fault Bank B

means?

Just a guess but possibly your catalytic converter(s?) are not functioning properly...

Any other ideas guys?

Thanks for all the replys. Im not to good with these things, so any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Nobody in here knows what:

"Catalyst Efficiency Low Fault Bank B"

means???

Well, I really need some help here. I have no idea what:

Catalyst Efficiency Low Fault Bank B

means or how to mix the problem. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Well, has your truck been running poorly?

Nope! Runs fine,as far as I can tell. The light just came on as I was driving into my drive way. Doesn't seem to be any differnt other then the CEL is on.

f you have OBDII then you probibaly have a o2 sensor after the cat, the code is setting off the o2 sensor, which in turn means cat's are prolly toast for some reason. my buddy's camaro ran fine but when we dropped the exaust the cat had "reverse imploded" into the Y pipe, clogging it. check the cat...

Where is the cat that i should check located? I have 100,000 miles on my X. Is that about how long they usually last?

It's on the taipipe, before the muffler; it looks like a muffler.

It's not unheard of for a catalytic converter to go out after 100,000 miles, but I would say it is a little early...I would like to get 120,000 to 150,000 on a cat personally but that's just me.

Now's your chance to get a high-flow cat put on. Hi-flow cat's cost about the same as regular cats I think.

Do hi-flow cats make the X sound any differnt?

Any advise on what brand or where to buy some?

sound is USUALLY based on muffler type, if you have aftermarket exaust, it can change the tone, i have no idea what it will sound like with stock exaust. www.summitracing.com has some i dont really know where to look other than that, i havent gotten to replace my cats yet. it IS possible the o2 sensor is bad, not sure how you'd test it but that is cheaper than replacing the cat. see if the sensor is bad before you throw money at the truck.

I have never run a scan to test the 02 sensor function before. How do I do that?

Back