• Register Today It's free!

CEL, no codes

wezsitat

Reaction score
City, State
North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
I've been trying to diagnose my 93 x for a few weeks. I have a check engine light on which will not send any codes. I've done the tests with the engine off and with the engine running. Anybody know what to do when you can't pull codes?

My problem other than the CEL is stalling, smoking, RPMs revving high then low then spitting and sputtering.

Shawn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CLean your MAF then reset the light by disconnecting the battery for 10-20 minutes. Use Electical spray cleaner on the MAF.

Later Doug.

When the engine was off, was the key in the "ON" position? Test should be done with the key on, engine off; and with the key on, engine running. Good Luck.

Maf

I have cleaned the MAF and it made no difference.
The key was in the correct position for both tests. Only now, I can't get the truck to idle long enough to start the key on engine running test. I'm getting slightly ticked off since I've only had this truck one month. 88,000 miles sounded so good at the time.

Shawn

Do you have an IAC (Idle air control) valve, aka bypass valve, on 1st gens? This is what, obviously, controls the idle air in 2nd gens.

When you say you can't get codes, do you mean the computer doesn't respond at all, or that you are getting pass codes?? If the former, check the wiring between the self-test connector and the PCM and make sure the wiring is intact. Make sure the PCM has good power and ground. Make sure your jumper wire is making good contact at SIG RTN and STI (and that your voltmeter/test light has good connections at the battery and STO, if you're using them). I almost hate to say it, but make certain you are setting up the test correctly (www.troublecodes.net/Ford has a good description).

Cel

When I say I don't get any codes, I meant I am receiving a pass code each time. The CEL is on, but no trouble codes?!

I pass both the engine off and engine on test. I have tried the wiggle test and the cylinder test and get nothing back from my code reader.

I'm to the point where I'll pay somebody to fix this thing. If only I could drive it to a mechanic...

Shawn

Iac

Yes, I have an IAC and did the cleaning last week. No change.
The problem is intermittent. It's running fine now, but I don't trust it to drive anywhere. I'm off to a mechanic...

Mechanic

I called my trusty local mechanic, who I've went to for the last 10 years, and he thinks I have a head gasket problem. I think he's way off, but I'll drop of the truck today and see what happens. $30 to look at the truck, which is cheap around here.

Shawn

ideas

Can anybody tell me what it would normally cost to change the head gasket?

I know for a fact that I can't do it myself, so if it is the cause of my problems, I will be forking out the $$$.

Follow up

I need some help from any active duty military folks who have been stationed overseas.

I am active duty Air Force and recently bought my explorer from another active duty member, who just returned from overseas. Before going to England, he had to add 3-4 lights to the back of his vehicle to make it legal in that country. When they added the lights, they cut into some wiring under the dash that is affecting my code reading ability. The BOO switch was cut, but I'm not sure if it needed to be in order for the lights to work.

Initially, my mechanic thought my head gasket was the problem. But he says he can't diagnose my vehicle until the BOO is corrected. Is there any truth to this? Also, my running lights and reverse lights never worked until this mechanic started working on the BOO... Is it all related?

Shawn

Back