seth247

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4X4
Hey guys

I want to do something with all that wasted space over the tranny hump on my '92 and I was wondering how much different the floor boards and dash are in a second gen compared to a first? Maybe swap out the center console and try and fit it against the dash of mine. Then do the gauge pod mod some on here did that looks sweet.

I think if I can manage it will be sweet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only problem i can imagine you having is the 2nd gen console forms to the shape of the lower dash, but in a 1st gen this is where the ash tray is. you could get it to work, possibly lose the ash tray.

Others have done it on here with there first gens, I think you have to hack up a little bit of the passenger side of the console at the front where it connects to the dash but not 100% on that.

Thanks guys

Yeah I'm not worried about the ashtray I don't use it. And that guage pod mod I saw should be fun.

I was wondering what guages to put in it, the dash has things pretty much covered on info. Maybe an oil temp but that's not really that helpful. Definetly might put in a digital readout volt meter cause of my audio system

How does an air fuel ratio guage get its readings? Would it be hard to rig one up?

it might just work. In my 2nd gen I also have an ashtray... but in about a week I'll be replacing broken center console with a new one with trip computer. Dashboard on first gen might be a bit different shape but I'm sure you can work with it...

heck, I installed seats from a Cherokee once in my other 1st gen. :rolleyes:

Anybody have any pictures of these consoles?

Take that as no

I guess ill have to find own pics

I was lookin on ebay and I noticed that a 2002 ex console looked exactly the right shape but then there would be no place foe the guages... Hhmmm.

2002 console is totally different in design. You might want to be looking for a 1995-2001 console.

I'm not THAT good with fiberglass

The two concoles have been swaped before. Like the others said I agree with for the front part of the 2nd gen console where it connects to the dash there cold be some triming there on that plastic piece because of the different design, but from what I have read about them everything else should bolt right on it. If not, than somehow it works because people have done it.

Does anyone know how much the console would be at the junkyard. Also have anyone take the nav bar console from a 2nd gen and put it into a 1st gen, any pics?and pros or cons about it.

Thanks

thanks for the help guys i think ill check out the local pull a part and see what i can find. maybe paint one up real nice.

I want to attempt the swap as well, because I have kids and the second gen console has air vents top and bottom as well as an auxillary fan to boost air discharge. Please keep us updated as you go.

cool I didnt know it had a fan in it. I don't think its practical to pipe the aircon back to it but even just the air flow would help circulate.

Back