First Gen Exp center console upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Gen Exp center console upgrade

joserlon

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Ana, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' Ford Explorer
Hey guys I ve been thinking of swapping the center console on my 92' Exp... I have stick shift... Has anyone done a swap with a second generation center console to a First gen?
Any ideas or advice on doing the upgrade?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

None of the auto's will fit since your stick. You can find newer ones that look the same out of some sports that had manuals. Some rangers also had a console cup holder thingy as part of the shifter assembly at the bottom.

A Mustang center console might be an option.

I think i will be going to the bone yard this weekend and look for a sport manual.. hope i can find one... i thought about the Mustang's console but i think the arm rest will be too low... i need one with normal height arm rest since my exp has an aftermarket console with no arm rest on it...

i went looking for this

so i went to the bone yard today.. no luck finding a center console from a newer Explrr in tan color... i might be going to another place tomorrow hopefully i can find one there....
i looked at the mustangs but like i said it will be too low for the arm rest and the area where the shifter goes its round and it wont match the Exporer's lower dash board part... so i definetely discarded that one...

this is pretty much exactly what am looking for:

004-5.jpg

That looks custom.........

I'm sure a 2nd Gen console shouldn't be that hard to modify and make work , not much effort to making that shifter area work that is pictured , find the console , cut out that message center / storage compartment area and mount a shifter boot from the inside .

Just Google'd 98 explorer message center for pics and boom , post #6 shows a stock 2nd gen message center , a little cutting and modding and your good to make that part work anyway lol . Good luck in your search ! .
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380874

Edit #2 , You may loose your ashtray function with the 2nd gen console , it looks like it may come up a little high on a first gen dash .

Did you notice that those are both the same console.

The message center is just removed for the stick and replaced with a factory cover and boot.

I know they use the exact same console as the second gen Explorers in another model street car. Just not sure which.

joserlon: What model car is that one in your pic?

The picture above is a 2nd gen explorer console. If you pull one from an Eddie Bauer or Limited the information computer has to be removed.

At one point there was a vendor on here making custom leather shift boots for this console, and even did the arm rest repair.

If you have a manual transfer case the 4x4 shifter gets in the way of this console.

-Jason94sport# I dont think its custom, it looks like they put some king of cover/clothing on the arm rest...
-Bruces Expo# that's exactly what I think, I don't think it should require that much modification to make it fit, my only problem was that I couldn't find one complete and nor in Tan color... I don't mind loosing the ashtray since I don't smoke lol... And for the power outlets I believe this console comes with 2, one on the passenger side and the other one inside the console compartment...
-FR-425# if you find out on which other model car is this center console used get back to us I am sure it will be of great help to many of us here...
The picture on post #5 I grabbed it from Google, but It definetely is a Second Gen, you can easily tell by the stereo bezel...
-mr cribb# I have 2wd only so this should work with a little bit of modification to it...
I'm hoping I can find one in decent conditions...

I will be going to Pick your Part the following weekend since its going to be 50% 3 day weekend... I'll post back once I get something that works for it.

Lots of people use the second gen console in the rangers all the time.there is a ton of pictures over on rps.pretty sure I read there is two different 2nd gen consoles, a long one and a short one.the short one requires no mods.thats the route im taking in my ranger.fyi ranger and explorers should be the same as the seat and everything are direct swappable

thanks jd4242 that gives me more chances to find it, i'll be looking for rangers as well... I really don't mind having to do modify it but if I can find one that fits straight im good with it...

thanks jd4242 that gives me more chances to find it, i'll be looking for rangers as well... I really don't mind having to do modify it but if I can find one that fits straight im good with it...

They dont come in rangers.just saying people use the second gen explorer console in 5 speed rangers all the time..if you search on ranger power sports your see a bunch of pictures. Can give you a idea of how they fit, if they fit in a ranger they will fit in a 5speed explorer..

Back