Centering Front Wheels?

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
for starters i have a 5.5 lift with James Duff radius arms and will be adding f-150 seats and a 3" body lift this week.my question is how do i center the front spindle or lower spring mount to the top one or should it be centered.my problem is that one wheel is not centered and sits off in the fender well.driver side looks close but my passenger side is off and the tire will rub when turning but the driver side wont,but that's not the under lying issue,the spindle/lower seat mount is not centered from what i can tell and sits farther back.so font post about trimming or that the fender my be mounted farther back or whatever.i would like to have it like an inch farther towards the bumper or front of the truck as i have more clearance up there.i take the first step would be take the tires and springs out and set the truck to where the center of the hub/spindle and upper spring mount is sitting at the level at witch the truck sits at ride height. this is where i get lost.im thinking that the truck or the upper spring seat needs to be level to do this.i would say to find the center of the top spring mount and run a bar or stick across it and hang a string weight from the center and let it drop down to the lower spring seat and adjust the axle by the jd arm hemi mounts to where the lower spring mount bolt is centered to the string weight from the top.that to me sound like it would center the lower spindle or spring mount in relation to the upper at ride height.the reason i may or would like it and inch forward is because i think the hub moves backwards as its under flex so it would center up or have a little more room in the fender well under flex.but center at ride height is where i need to start with.soo sound plausible,anyone have the real way or a better way?:scratch::confused::dunno::help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump ??? anyone?? i know you sas people have to have some way of doing this?

How did the hubs/knuckles end up at different spots under the fender? My geuss is check that the raidius arm to frame mount isn't damaged or bent. Are the wheels correctly aligned? I don't know how the spindle could be in the wrong spot and something not be broken.

it has james duff arms on it,not stock and they are adjustable

so you need to measure your arm lenghts and see if they are the same.

measure the R.A. brackets to the frame from the front horn. see if they are in the same place on the frame. maybe one is sitting back on the frame further than the other bracket.

long posts need to be broken into paragraphs. hard to read all that bunched together.

yes! your theory is correct! if you string the spring seat and adjust the radius arms so the bottom seats fall in place that should get you where you need to be.

provided! the truck is sitting on jack stands, it is sitting level ( body is sitting level) and the axle is sitting at ride height and not dropped to the concrete.

you need everything to be sitting exactly how you would have it when it is sitting on the wheels in the driveway.

it is just easier to measure the arms and the brackets and figure out who is in the wrong place

Measuring the arms wouldnt tell me if there are centered just that they are mount and adjusted the same.i know they are mounted in the same spot i did all that when i put them on.sorry it was late and im country,so all my words seem to run together! !;)

so then you need to measure from the front end of the frame rail to where the brackets are mounted.

are they the same distance from the front end of the frame rails??

The main ra brackets where they mount at the tranny ,yes they are but where should the spindles sit at,is the question.im pretty sure both sit to far back and are not centered in relation to the top spring seat.

well that would be the answer?

the brackets are too far back and should be moved forward to make the seats align properly.

which then would put the coil spring seats in line and would then set the string straight in the seat

The arms are adjustable.the mounts dont need to move

then all you have to do is adjust the arms.

done

I understood that from the start.my question was how do i find center or where to adjust them to.

The only way I could find to make sure I got my arms back where they belonged was to use a plumb bob and mark the fender to where the center of the hub/axle was before I put on my extended arms.

I never could get consistant measurments from the fenderwell, especially since mine have been trimmed.

~Mark

I understood that from the start.my question was how do i find center or where to adjust them to.

Adjust it until it looks right?

Just make sure it's not so far forward that the passengerside axle hits up against the bracket for the driverside beam pivot (keep about ¾" clearance between the axle and the bolt for the beam).

How did you do your d44?

Just like that.
I have bushings on my arms so I put a few big washers on the frontside of the bushings to move things around until the wheels looked centered in the fenders (easy to gauge the clearance between the tire & fender when you turn the wheel some and compare it on both sides).

Back