chain tensioners.. how can i tell if fixed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

chain tensioners.. how can i tell if fixed?

tipdrill

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4dr 2wd
I bought my 2000 SOHC about a month and a half ago and have been reading all the threads about the Timing Chain Tensioners. Is there anyway to tell if the recall has been done on my explorer without calling a dealership (if thats possible)?

I believe i heard some rattling coming from the engine while revving once, but the next time i revved the engine there was no rattle.

& if it hasent been done, does anyone know how much it would cost for a mechanic to fix the tensioners?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought my 2000 SOHC about a month and a half ago and have been reading all the threads about the Timing Chain Tensioners. Is there anyway to tell if the recall has been done on my explorer without calling a dealership (if thats possible)?

I believe i heard some rattling coming from the engine while revving once, but the next time i revved the engine there was no rattle.

& if it hasent been done, does anyone know how much it would cost for a mechanic to fix the tensioners?

Go to ford.com and there is a tab at there site to input your vin to see if there is any outstanding recalls for it.Rattling can come from anywhere.I believe it is a more constant rattle around 2k-3k rpms.if yours is only once in awhile check your heat shields out.Good luck

thanks! It said there was no recalls out. Does that mean it has been fixed?

thanks! It said there was no recalls out. Does that mean it has been fixed?

I ran mine and it said the same.I have a cold start noise from oil not getting to the top end quick enough.I need to change to synthetic and a anti-drainback filter for me.But otherwise my truck runs fantastic.From what I have learned on here you will have constant rattling,Terrible idle,and other noticable problems.I wouldnt worry about it as long as your running ok.

I made that change a couple of weeks ago. Mobile 1 and a wix. It didn't solve my oil pressure gauge problem but it runs great.

the updated tensioners have a 2 inch round shaft on the end of the bold head, the old ones only have the head.

the updated tensioners have a 2 inch round shaft on the end of the bold head, the old ones only have the head.

If someone had pics of the 2 next to each other,That would make a good tech sticky

My developed a rattle at idle and slow revs, but runs fine. No loss in power gas MPG or nothing. How much do you think it will cost to replace it? I use q torque power 5-20 with a k and n Oil filter. Starts up great..

Back