Changed Plugs -- A few tips included. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changed Plugs -- A few tips included.

BradE.

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4x4
Well, I finally changed the spark plugs and wires on my OHV. With 83K miles the Double Platinum plugs were in fairly good shape, the single platinums however were not. The gaps were worn to almost .070 gap. :eek: The X runs much smoother now, and no more rough idle.

I have a few tips for the wires. When removing them, get 6 clothespins and mark them 1-6 and tip the correct pin to the wire when it's removed. It really helps keep them in order so you know what goes where. Also, on my Explorer the wires on the drivers side are routed under the upper intake manifold. It's a MAJOR PITA to get them back in, but it can be done. Tie a piece of string to the boot of the wire, then snake it under the manifold down to the valve cover. Then, you can pull the string and get a firm handle on the wires to guide them over the valve cover and down to the plugs. :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are good tips. I'll be keeping those in mind when I do mine in a few days.

Clothspins !!!
Great idea AND reuseable !!!

Also, I did this just in case. If you have a digital camera take a few pictures of the wires and routing before you start removing anything. That way if you lose track of what way the routing goes you can use the pics for reference. :)

I'm going to be doing plugs and wires soon... how much of a PITA is it? Planning on doing it myself.

Also, motorcraft seems to be the consensus here am I correct?

Mike,

Yes, go with Motorcraft Plugs. I also went with Motorcraft wires. It's a PITA to do the plugs, but it's doable. I was able to get all mine from the top. Just be patient, it took me about 3 hours from start to finish. If you have a set of Mechanics Gloves wear them, they will save your hands from getting all cut up.

wow! only took me about 1 1/2 hrs and i have never doone plugs before in my life. definately try to wear gloves, my hands were toast. and take a pic or mark the wires or make a chart. this saved my butt when i put the new ones on...i also did one at a time to not lose track...i went with bosch platinum 4 plugs and bosch wires...i had motorcraft put in my last vehicle and wasnt too impressed but i may upgrade my wires later on.

On the 97 OHV wires

It is easy to remove the EGR solenoid and unclip the engine connector to get it out of the way. There are two sets of wire clips under this mess. I never rerouted the #4 wire to the single valve cover wire clip. Brought it over the EGR valve and ty wrapped it to the power steering hose I think. Anyway it is free and clear without geting near any metal.

Clothespins!

Wow! great tip on the clothespins. Beats using masking tape.

Back