Changed serpentine belt, now car won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changed serpentine belt, now car won't start

Enigmatic_5

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
My old serpentine belt had around 100k miles on it and it started squealing last week, so I picked up a new belt and went to change it tonight. I took the old belt off, checked the pulleys (all turn well, no noticeable drag, and my tensioner looks good, too. I put the new belt on, turned the key and nothing. The electrical systems all come on (vents, radio, lights, door chime...) and the solenoid behind the battery clicks, but it won't crank. I tried the old belt, no belt, checked the voltage across the battery (12 and change), cleaned the battery contacts, checked the voltage at the solenoid and starter (12 and change at both), and attempted to jump it, all with no success. If you have any ideas, PLEASE POST!! Now I need to go cool off... where's my beer?! :eek:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it turn over?

Make sure the wires are tight on the solenoid and starter.

Try shorting across the solenoid. (get 12 volts to the small post)
If it works, your solenoid is toast.

Does it turn over?

Make sure the wires are tight on the solenoid and starter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My old serpentine belt had around 100k miles on it and it started squealing last week, so I picked up a new belt and went to change it tonight. I took the old belt off, checked the pulleys (all turn well, no noticeable drag, and my tensioner looks good, too. I put the new belt on, turned the key and nothing. The electrical systems all come on (vents, radio, lights, door chime...) and the solenoid behind the battery clicks, but it won't crank. I tried the old belt, no belt, checked the voltage across the battery (12 and change), cleaned the battery contacts, checked the voltage at the solenoid and starter (12 and change at both), and attempted to jump it, all with no success. If you have any ideas, PLEASE POST!! Now I need to go cool off... where's my beer?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My old serpentine belt had around 100k miles on it and it started squealing last week, so I picked up a new belt and went to change it tonight. I took the old belt off, checked the pulleys (all turn well, no noticeable drag, and my tensioner looks good, too. I put the new belt on, turned the key and nothing. The electrical systems all come on (vents, radio, lights, door chime...) and the solenoid behind the battery clicks, but it won't crank. I tried the old belt, no belt, checked the voltage across the battery (12 and change), cleaned the battery contacts, checked the voltage at the solenoid and starter (12 and change at both), and attempted to jump it, all with no success. If you have any ideas, PLEASE POST!! Now I need to go cool off... where's my beer?!

Does it turn over?

Make sure the wires are tight on the solenoid and starter

The engine does not turn over at all, the wires are tight on both the solenoid and starter, I cleaned the post and contacts on the battery. I did short across the solenoid and it worked (clicked). Sooo... that means my solenoid is toast?

do the other electronics shut off/loose power when you try to crank the engine? (for example, if you turn on the headlights, will the lights go off when you turn the key to the start position)

if so then it's a bad battery connection. likely the terminals.

edit: just read the last post... when you're solenoid clicked, did the starter engage?

When the solenoid clicked the starter did not engage. The solenoid did the same thing it does when I just turn the key.

I'm going to check the clutch switch, my uncle suggested I see if it's disconnected or something.

its not the clutch switch.... think of it this way:

all the "Switch" stuff, (key switch, neutral safety, etc) are in the circuit that switches the solenoid (makes it click) so if the solenoid clicks, it's safe to say that all the "small" electronic stuff is working perfectly... somehow the problem is between the solenoid and the starter.

the way to check for sure would be, have somebody hold the key in the start position, then use a test light on the starter cable (where it goes to the solenoid) and see if there is power there.. then use the test light on the starter to see if there is power there. i believe there are 2 wires going to the starter, a big red wire (side of your finger) and a small one - the big one should have power all the time, the small one should have power while the key is in the start position. use you're test light (or volt meter) to confirm this. if the power is there, and the starter isn't running, it's a bad starter.

if you want, you can try disconnecting the cables from the starter, cleaning them, and reconnecting them, as it's possible (but a slim chance) that the connection is just bad.. but if the cables are tight this is very unlikely.

btw where are you located

...wow...

Ok, so I checked the clutch switch connection, and lo and behold it was loose. So I pushed the connector the rest of the way on and the dang thing started right up! It was just some freak coincidence that the wire was loose at the same time that I changed the belt. Had I not changed the belt and tried to start the car, I would have had the same problem. Thanks to everyone that offered advice, and I hope this weird coincidence is able to help someone else with a similarly mysterious problem. :cool:

Back