changes on 2011 limited to 2015 limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

changes on 2011 limited to 2015 limited

cbx1047

Reaction score
City, State
waikesha, wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 limited
I traded my 2011 with 44k in on new 2015 (Same options). I have noticed a few changes that I am pleased to see but never read about. I did note they had heated rear seats and larger brakes and I saw they added a slot between cup holders for those of us with mugs handles. good! A few other surprises were that the rear heat starts up on remote start which heats the cabin up faster. The cabin seems much quieter going down the road then the 2011; they must have added more sound deadening? The bottom of the doors actually close up against the bottom door seal. Not perfect but much better. Ford should work on this. The heat only leather seats seem to be a softer leather and more smooth then the previous. The reception on AM radio is better. I dont know why that was ever a problem. If you were more then 50 miles from a 50k output station you would just get static. There is a power plug in center council. No more air pump under front seat. Heated outside mirrors. I have about 100 miles on now and am wondering if there are any more change that I have not noted. If anyone knows of any please add to the list.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know the 2013 added power tilting & telescoping steering, also lane departure warning & assist. This is from comparing a 2012 & 2013 Limited Explorers.

My 2011 Limited had a power plug in the center console and had heated mirrors as well. I don't know if the rear heater came on with remote start since I was never back there.:) I think there is a thread that documents the changes on the 2015 but I haven't looked for it.

Peter

Rear heat does come on in my 2011 IF it wasn't completely turned off before I shut the engine off. Heated outside mirrors and power plug (12V) in center consoles were standard on the limited back in '11.

Welcome to the Forum amilecz.:wavey:

Peter

perter and amilecz, thanks, I guess I never noticed the power plug in the center councel, but my rear heat never started with remote, I now have the rear heat turned off but it starts if I remote start. Then when I get in the car on start up it shuts off. Nice. Another thing I noticed is the drivers foot room. I kept my old weatherteck floor mats and put them in the 2015. the left foot rest is another 2 iches over to the left 2 inches farther forward. Now my floor mats don’t fit tight around the left foot rest.

After getting in after remote starting your Explorer, there are a few items that turn off when you press the brake and start button to resume normal operation. That is normal. As for the liner on the driver's side, there is a thread on that issue. There was a change made in the 2015 model so anyone with WeatherTech or Husky liners will have to get a new one.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410355&highlight=weathertech

Peter

Back