Changing engine note.

Algar

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
00' Eddie Bauer
Hi all,

Firstly, what a great forum. After arriving inthe US from the Uk last year I bought an explorer and have been using your ideas and info to help me keep it alive! (not one of my finest purchases) Anyway I like the car and thanks for all your help so far.

I now have a problem I cant find an answer too. Just recently it has started taking a little more of an effort to start but once going runs well. However I just started noticing that when stationary at lights or in traffic, there will be a click and the engine note will change and it feel like the revs drop but the counter doesnt change. Then a few seconds later it will click again and change back. This will continue until I pull away but then start again when back in traffic! It also seem to be lacking a bit of power and almost feels like i'm towing something but obviously am not!

Someone suggested it might be a blocked air intake or something wrong with the fuel system? I would really appreciate your help and ideas with this.

Alex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Climate control selection?

When you hear the clicking on and off is your climate control set on upper/lower, lower/defrost or defrost? If so, your air conditioner compressor will cycle on and off unless the outside air temperature is 50 degrees F or greater.

thanks for the reply,

I wondered about that also but it does the same thing if the ac/heater is off completely.

Not compressor

Hi,

I have checked the EGR valve and this appears to be fine. If I disconnect it at Idle there is no vacuum and it appears to be working ok although I havent taken it off and cleaned it. (any tips on this?)

I have now noticed that it only makes this change when in gear but not if sat in neutral. Would this shed any more light?

Really at a loss here guys and dont want to pay the mechanic a small fortune just to tell me its something simple. I really appreciate your help so far.

Alex

Back