Changing fluids...big problem with tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing fluids...big problem with tranny

Big Red

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4WD
Well, I would like to change the fluids in both my differentials, tranny, and engine oil. Luckily engine oil is a no brainer and I think I am good there. But I need some help on the others. I searched them and got a lot of write ups about mostly 2nd gen ex's. I need to know if there is a write up on changing oil in the diff's and tranny. The reasons are: my rear diff. is really greasy all over and looks like it is slowly leaking out. I would like to replace it, put a new gasket in and have the peace of mind to know that it is done. I have owned the ex. for a year now and I have never replaced any fluids...other than my engine oil off course. My front diff is pretty similar except not nearly as bad. I read that you are supposed to use two different oils for the front and rear diffs. so any help is appreciated.

Lastly, my bigger problem. I was backing up my driveway the other day (pretty steep and a really, really hot day) with a trailer full of mulch. Needless to say it put a lot of stress on the Ex. and took a lot more 'oomf' than usual to get it up there. When I looked back down the driveway there was a line of fluid all the way from the bottom of the driveway up to the Ex. I checked underneath and a brownish red liquid was gushing out. I looked underneath and when I saw it was coming from dead center by the tranny, I knew that was exactly what it was...needless to say it stunk! I probably lost about 2-3 quarts of tranny fluid and as soon as I got the ex. on level ground it stopped. I leveled it off and have not had a problem since then. My question is this, do I just drain it? I don't know how but is there a way to take down the 'oil pan'? I also would like to replace the tranny filter. Is it worth it or should I just have the tranny taken out and have a new gasket put in.

I have no idea what the problem was or is. Any help would be great thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't have to remove the entire transmission to drop the pan. It is bolted on. The filter is inside. Don't overtorque the bolts when you reinstall it. It's better to use a torque wrench so that you don't strip the cast aluminum housing.

You don't have to remove the entire transmission to drop the pan. It is bolted on. The filter is inside. Don't overtorque the bolts when you reinstall it. It's better to use a torque wrench so that you don't strip the cast aluminum housing.

Thanks, but I was hoping to drain all the old fluid. Doesn't dropping the pan only replace about 6 quarts of about 15? Is there any way to drain all the fluid?

In other words, go get a tranny flush for around $100, the machine in that link as a few grand if I remember right.

Yep, that's the best way to make sure your tranny fluid is completely changed over. If you are really into changing the fluid go ahead and drain what you can and change the filter. Fill it back up with fresh fluid then get it flushed with clean fluid.

I think i paid $1500 for mine a year ago or so, i also bought it used.

Back