Changing fuel pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing fuel pump

kroq83

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sporttrak
Started to go someplace in the Sport trac and it died backing out. I stop hearing the pump when key on. Jump relay and inertia switch and got 12v. I spayed starter fluid got spark.
So it down to pulling the tank. Any pointer on buy a whole new sender or just replace the pumps?

The trac only has 60k miles and it need to last 20 more years.

Thanks for info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy a Bosch or Motorcraft. If you purchase the right one you can just get the pump, strainer, and clamps. Replace the can fuel filter as well. If you buy the budget pump you’ll be dropping the tank again.

I can't fine the pump it self so I went on Bosch to fine out that Bosch 67210 Electric Fuel Pump is the unit I need. It fit 2002 to 2003 years of Explorers. The price for that unit is from $130 and up. Amazon is the cheapest for it right now. Thanks for the info.

No problem. Removing it is pretty straightforward. If replacing the filter (highly recommended) I’d spray plenty of penetrant into the clips and let sit, and then blow out several times. If thy have grit in them they are nearly impossible. If mice and clean and the tool is inserted FULLY, they usually slide off easily.

Started to go someplace in the Sport trac and it died backing out. I stop hearing the pump when key on. Jump relay and inertia switch and got 12v. I spayed starter fluid got spark.
So it down to pulling the tank. Any pointer on buy a whole new sender or just replace the pumps?

The trac only has 60k miles and it need to last 20 more years.

Thanks for info.

I do believe that if you only have the key to the on position the pump will ONLY run until the fuel pressure is up to par and then it will shut down....until the pressure drops below whatever minimum pressure is. I had the Ford dealer replace the FP in our '02 S/T because of a very inconsistent starting (lack of starting) problem which did turn out to be the FP.

What is " I spayed starter fluid and got spark"?

I do believe that if you only have the key to the on position the pump will ONLY run until the fuel pressure is up to par and then it will shut down....until the pressure drops below whatever minimum pressure is. I had the Ford dealer replace the FP in our '02 S/T because of a very inconsistent starting (lack of starting) problem which did turn out to be the FP.

What is " I spayed starter fluid and got spark"?
Pretty sure they meant it started momentarily on starting fluid.

Back