Changing PCV Valve

Digitalgp

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hudson valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘15 XLT
Anybody have experience changing the PCV valve on one of these? I am wanting to change mine on my n/a 3.5 xlt just as maintenance and I know the valve is located towards the passenger side by the firewall, but I can't seem to see it back there or get my hand in there to feel for it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have a look at this video. It should help. Good luck.

Peter

It's pretty easy, but hard to reach.
  1. Remove the foam engine cover by loosening the 2 plastic stays, one on the right unscrews, the one on the left is a pull out, then gently work it off around the oil filler cap.
  2. At the back side of the engine, toward the left, you'll see the hose coming off the engine, with the PCV connecting the hose to the engine. Using pliers (preferably channel pliers or hose clap pliers), squeeze the hose clamp and then wiggle it toward the right of the PCV so it's off the PCV neck inside the hose.
  3. Grab the hose and gently wiggle and pull it off the PCV. Look at the PCV, there's a notch where it attaches at the engine showing it's 100% secure.
  4. Grab the PCV with a hand or gently with pliers, twist it 90 degrees counter-clockwise, and then it should lift out. For fun, shake and look at the old PCV to see if it's sticky or has oil residue. Preferably, it should be clean and rattle easily and not stick at all.
  5. Use a lint-free cloth/rag, stick it in the PCV slot and twist it around to clear out any oil residue.
  6. Now place in the new PCV, being sure to seat it all the way in, then twist 90% clockwise until the notch reaches the same position the old one was at.
  7. Reattach hose and re-secure the hose clamp, then the foam engine cover and 2 plastic stays.

I did my PCV valve the same time I did spark plugs and boots since I had to take the intake off for those.

Thank you guys. That video was very helpful. Definitely walking away with a crushed hand lol

Back