Changing Spark plugs soon need advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing Spark plugs soon need advice

Chevellefan

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT Explorer AWD
so I am changing the spark plugs in my wife's 1997 6cyl xlt explorer. Just wondering what the new plugs should be gapped too. Thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spark Plug Gap 0.052 - 0.056 inch

Spark plug torque: 4.0 9-20 Nm (80-178 lb in) ***THAT'S INCH POUNDS BY THE WAY.

I am not saying that you are stupid and won't see that, but I just don't want you to be cranking down the spark plugs and then have to rebuild a motor to fix a mistake.

Also I don't know about the 4.0, but on my 5.0 it was much easier to acess the spark plugs through the wheel well, just take off the splash guards, and the wheel, and you will be looking right at them.

The plugs are pre-gapped at 0.054" so it should not be needed any "gapping". Actually, for the better, fine wire, manufacturers strongly adice against any gapping (that might damage the tip).

Regardless of what the pre-gapped specification is you may want to always check the gap to make sure it didn't get altered.

Regardless of what the pre-gapped specification is you may want to always check the gap to make sure it didn't get altered.
I don't know about everybody else here but I would just stick with motorcraft plugs and that's it ..

I don't know about everybody else here but I would just stick with motorcraft plugs and that's it ..

I use the E3 Spark plugs in my Ex. I know everybody says that they don't really help. But I did some searching around before I bought them. Yes it is true the spark plug does not arc to all of the points every time, it actually only does one, but because of this, and there being 3 electrodes it makes for better performance, and longer plug life. If one get burns up, there are 2 more. I am sure I will get crap for saying this, but I do like them alot. Even with the increased price.

thanks for the help guys just got a chance to check back to this thread..

Probably till you find them really stuck in your engine, like I (and others) did.
s4.png

P1020124.png

Mostly because of this "inovation" in plug design:
halfthread.png

Back