changing tranny fluid by the cooler lines | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

changing tranny fluid by the cooler lines

biggiesize

Reaction score
City, State
Martinsville,Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 sport
I was reading someones idea about how to change the tranny fluid if you didnt want to drop the pan and change the filter.They said to take the input and output lines off of the cooler.Put one in an empty bucket and the other in a bucket full of new tranny fluid.Their claim is that when you crank the vehicle the old fluid will pump into the empty bucket while at the same time the tranny sucks in the clean fluid from the other bucket.I understand that the old fluid could possibly be drained that way but as far as the other side "sucking in" the fresh fluid,I dont see how a transmission has any sucking power.The fluid is circulated by a pumping force but not suction.Am I correct on this or could this possibly work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was reading someones idea about how to change the tranny fluid if you didnt want to drop the pan and change the filter.They said to take the input and output lines off of the cooler.Put one in an empty bucket and the other in a bucket full of new tranny fluid.Their claim is that when you crank the vehicle the old fluid will pump into the empty bucket while at the same time the tranny sucks in the clean fluid from the other bucket.I understand that the old fluid could possibly be drained that way but as far as the other side "sucking in" the fresh fluid,I dont see how a transmission has any sucking power.The fluid is circulated by a pumping force but not suction.Am I correct on this or could this possibly work?

correct. it will not suck the new fluid in.

Thanks.Thats what I was thinking since transmission flush machines have to force feed the new fluid into the tranny.

You are correct.... you ain't going to get "much suck". Basically, you start your vehicle and let the pump "push" the fluid out (you will have to plug one of the lines as fluid will come out from both "in some form". You then remove X litres (measure as it dumps into your catch bucket). You then turn off your vehicle and add X litres back thru the fill tube. Usually, "X" is 3 or 4 litres at a time ( quarts for those on that system).

how nice it would be if were that easy though :)

Of course, it is a "flush" and you have to use a "lot" of fluid versus a "change" by "just dropping the pan" and replacing the "lost/dumped" fluid.

a pan drop will not get all the oil as some is still in the converter

Back