• Register Today It's free!

changing tranny fluid

nvrhapy

Reaction score
City, State
detroit, michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
ok i did some searching on here and this is what i found. "how to change tranny fluid" Before draining your tranny go to your local hardware store and get a piece of rubber hose about the diameter of your little finger (1/2 to 5/8th inch) and four (4) feet long. After draining the fluid and cleaning off the magnent at the end of the drain plug feed the piece of hose from the engine compartment down to the tranny filler plug. You will be able to push the hose about 3 inches into the body of the tranny. Connect the hose to a funnel or one of those adapters made for bottles that you can open and close. After filling the tranny with 2.5 quarts of the red stuff disconnect the hose from the adapter or funnel and blow through it (that way you avoid getting the engine coated with fluid.) Replace the filler plug, pull the hose and your done!
if there is anything i'm missing let me know, also where would i find the metal plugs to replace the rubber ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your tranny had a drain plug?

no, i have a manual tranny, maybe tht makes a difference.

can anybody help me out with the changing of a manual tranny fluid, i been doing some searches but only finding methods for auto's

you are double posting! Please do not do that.

-Drew

hey drew do you actually know the procedure for changing the tranny fluid in a manual???

im sure mr. chilton or mr. haynes does...

if i had a manual i probly wouldn't be asking this question. :rolleyes:

well thats pretty obvious...
ever think of buying one? ya know, just for kicks?
who knows, it might save you the trouble of starting some future threads. :D
ebay has very comprehensive manuals on cds for cheap too.

For that tranny, I'm not exactly sure. I know there is a fill plug usually on the driver side (and also usually a 3/8s drive rachet will fit it) -- but look for another type of drain plug. Hope this helps.

-Drew

hey i know this is kinda off topic but i heard somewhere on this site that you should change your tranny fluid like everytime you get back from an offroad trip. true or not?

kind of depends. Your fluid is hotter and loses it's protective properties quicker when idling, low speeds than at high speed (i.e. highway). I think the normal 30,000 filter change and 60,000 fluid flush should be okay. Or atleast cut it in half...15,000/filter and 30,000/trans flush. Now if this was purely an offroad truck, then possibly changing the fluid more often than that may be needed.

-Drew

thats what i was kinda thinking also but i wanted to make sure because the last thing i need is to spend money on is a new transmission. thanks for clearin that up!

Back