cheap and free modify's to my 1st gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cheap and free modify's to my 1st gen

emordnys

Reaction score
hey i have an all stock 92 xlt
been reading about removing rear sway bars i would like to know if it is safe for daily drive. 70mph daily.

i got about 50 percent + and 50 percent -

what do you think

my 4x4 light does not turn on?
:navajo:

im asking is it a good idea to remove rear sway on this for daily drive?
how can i fix 4x4 light?

and is there aNY cheap or free modifies i can do to better my ride?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do not remove your sway bar if you're going to be driving that fast, you need to get use to it slowly. Make quick disconnects for it.

great thank you.

also i have auto trans and auto hubs i cant get the 4x4 light to turn on, hit it with a hammer didn't do anything.
is there a proper way to engage 4x4 i mean neutral, parked ?
this is my 1st 4x

I HAVE THIS PLUG THAT GOES INTO THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE BLOCK ABOVE THE OIL FILTER IT HAS BEEN CUT I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS.
IT HAS 1GREEN AND 2BLACK WIRES WRAPPED IN A HEAT PROTECTING CLOTH.

1st gen PLUG ON PASSENGER SIDE OF BLOCK ABOVE OIL FILTER???

1st gen
i have a plug that goes into the block on passenger side it seems to have been cut i have no idea what it is or how or where to connect it.
1 green wire and 2black

any ideas?

You can engage 4hi while driving and 4low will only engage if you are stopped or less than 3mph with tranny in neutral. There is a bushing in the transfer case shifter that sometimes wears out. There is a rebuild thread somewhere on here or buy a new shift motor or swap in a manual transfer case.

No, honestly not sure...never had to mess with anything in that location to remember.

I'll check the book when I get home tonight. You don't have a check engine light, or any other missing functionality other than the 4x4 light? Do you know if 4x4 itself is functional? Fan blows at all speeds? I just bought my explorer a month ago and it's been too cold here to go under the hood for long. All the sensors, I think, are in other places. Are you sure there is not a 4th wire up in the harness somewhere? 4 wires in a thermal harness might make an oxygen sensor lead. Oh well, I'll tell you in a few hours, assuming 92 and 94 wire colors are the same.

only light i have is rear anti lock light! and my fuel gage does not work. imma try to take a pic with a cheap cell phone and put it on

its 3 wires
1 green and 2 black

i cant get a pic of it. i looked at the wire its 3 wires they all look black. the middle is green on the inside but its black on the outside. so it might show 3 black wired under the middle cylinder.

i dont know if anything works on the 4x4 just know when i press the button nothing happens.

You must check the "stickys" threads in the top part of the page before your post. It has lots and lots of troubleshooting for the 4x4.

The wires could have been from a block heater thats no longer in use....?? :dunno: just a thought...

The electrical schematics don't show anything there, and I really like the block heater thought, it does sound a little bit like a power cord. Block heater is an electric element often installed in a freeze plug location. The purpose is to maintain a minimum water jacket temperature in very cold climates, like where I live in Northern Minnesota. I'll leave the details up to you and Google. You don't need a block heater, unless you see -20 degree nights, and maybe not then, just depends on the vehicle.

Easier terms, a block heater keeps your engine block warm, a big bonus with those is very quick heat when you start the truck. The search feature will help you ALOT with your problems.

Back