• Register Today It's free!

Cheap spare keys

BlueEx00

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt 4 door 4x4
Hey guys! Hope everyone is having a fantastic Thursday, was wondering if there is a cheap solution to a spare key for my xlt 4 door I only have one and I’m the worst keeping up woth gets lol, also does anyone know of our keys 1995-2001 exp have chipped keys or not.

98-01 have chipped keys. 95-97 do not. 98 was the first year for PATS.

You can get inexpensive chipped keys on Amazon. I bought one Ford OE key for my '01 ST for $10 on Amazon a few years ago. Make sure the key you purchase looks just like your OE key. There's one with a more square head and one with a rounded head, they are not the same.

As far as getting it cut, any place that cuts keys can copy your old key. As far as getting your PCM to accept it...

1) Locksmith or dealership (around $50-$60).
2) Download Forscan and buy an ELM327 and a bluetooth dongle for you PC and do it yourself. Forscan is free, ELM327 and bluetooth dongle around $30 each.

Forscan does a lot more than just program keys. It's a very useful tool.

I did find this on Amazon. It is the exact same key and transponder. Still requires programming.

As far as getting it cut, any place that cuts keys can copy your old key. As far as getting your PCM to accept it...

1) Locksmith or dealership (around $50-$60).
2) Download Forscan and buy an ELM327 and a bluetooth dongle for you PC and do it yourself. Forscan is free, ELM327 and bluetooth dongle around $30 each.

Forscan does a lot more than just program keys. It's a very useful tool.

https://www.amazon.com/1998-Ford-Tr...t=&hvlocphy=9060480&hvtargid=pla-624170140287

Back