• Register Today It's free!

Cheap way to lower?

YetiX

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT OHV 2wd
First off, I'll admit it . . . I'm a cheap bastage. (Comes with the wife and kid.) I want to lower my X like the ExplorerExpress kit (i.e. 1 3/8" or so) but I don't have the cash for their kit. I've heard you can just get blocks and u-bolts for the rear and then losen the torsion arms in the front and go get it aligned. My questions are:

1. Where can I get the blocks and u-bolts?
2. How much do I losen the torsion arms?
3. Do I need "front camber adjusters" from the Explorer Express kit?
4. Are there "special" specs for aligning a lowered X?

If I can do this on the cheap then I can use the money saved for their sway bars and I'll have a handling ***** X.

Gracias,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

kalecoauto....

Hilariass!!!!!!!!

BTW, there is a performance parts store in Austin that carries 1.5in blocks($15) and longer u-bolts($10). They are one of those racing parts stores that specialize in the likes of Mustangs and other "race cars" but they have many applications that work on my Explorer, sweet. See if there are any places like that in your area.
I have heard that you can get the camber adjusters(which I hear are necessary) at any good alignment shop.
I'm gonna pick up the blocks and u-bolts soon and drop my Ex. I'll let you know how all that goes.

--mark

yob_yeknom, waayyy funny!! Best of all I even have one of their kits in my garage. I'll let you know how it turns out!!

Nitelife, thanks for the info. I'll check 'round here for similar shops. Do you know if the specs for aligning a lowered X are the same as stock? Also, how do you know how much to loosenthe torsion arms to lower the front?

Good luck on your lowering and I'll post pix of mine as soon as it's done. Next weekend?

Mark, BTW do you know the manufacturer and/or part # of the lowering blocks/bolts? Thanks,

Allignment specs. per E. E. kit are:
Camber: 0 to 5 degrees negative
Caster: Maximum possible
Toe In: 1/16"

Good luck.....

Muchas gracias!!

thanks for the alignment info!

I can't recall part # or manufacturer info on those blocks/bolts. I'll post it as soon as make it back to that shop.

As far as the actual process of loosening the torsion bars is concerned, well, I have yet to undergo that project so I don't have much advice. I was going to do a search on this board for actual lowering instructions. I think someone posted some a while back.

Again, I'll post my results as soon as I drop my baby!

--mark

I saw something too but I think he wanted to lower it 2" so he just loosened them all the way. I only want to go 1 to 1 1/2" so I guess I'll just loosen, measure and then loosen again until I've got it right. Good luck on yours.

You don't have to spend any money other than an alignment. Just lower the torsion bars and then you can take the spacers on the bottom of the leaf spring and put them in between the axle and leaf spring. You don't need longer u-bolts.

Maybe I'm clueless (very possible) but when I looked at my leaf springs and all that, there weren't any spacers under the leaves. There was a chinga between the leaf springs and axle which obviously kept the axle in place on the leaf springs and then there was the plate that the u-bolts go through below the leaves. But I didn't see any spacers. Am I missing something here?

Also, while I was down there (oh yeah baby) I checked out the torsion arms and realized I don't know which bolts to loosen to lower the front end. Duh? Which ones do I loosen? Are they under the cover plate or some other bolts?

Sorry for the longish post but I realized that I am clewless!

The leaf spring spacers are only there on Explorer Sports that have the monoleaf. Your 4-Door XLT have a full leaf pack, which has no spacers. You'll need blocks and new U-bolts.

The torsion bar adjustment bolts can be found by first getting under the truck. Follow the torsion bar back toward the rear of the truck till you see where it is attached to the crossmember. Now look along that crossmember a little more toward the center of the truck and you will see a bolt head sticking downward. If you look at the bolt, you'll see that it still has plenty of threads showing, this bolt with all the threads showing is the torsion bar adjustment bolt. If you look on the other torsion bar mount, you will see another bolt just like the one you just found. You loosen these to lower ride height and tight to raise. Good luck!

YOU 'DA MAN!!!

If I can find blocks and bolts I'm going low this weekend!!

you can get blocks and bolts at pepboys or kragens...

Re: kalecoauto....

Originally posted by NITELIFE
Hilariass!!!!!!!!

BTW, there is a performance parts store in Austin that carries 1.5in blocks($15) and longer u-bolts($10). They are one of those racing parts stores that specialize in the likes of Mustangs and other "race cars" but they have many applications that work on my Explorer, sweet. See if there are any places like that in your area.
I have heard that you can get the camber adjusters(which I hear are necessary) at any good alignment shop.
I'm gonna pick up the blocks and u-bolts soon and drop my Ex. I'll let you know how all that goes.

--mark

Mark - I'm in Austin, but the only place I've found 1.5 in blocks is on the internet (at about $25 for a pair). What store are you talking about?

Now I've got all the info - just need the f(&*^#%^g parts!! Got the blocks and u-bolts ($40 from Fabtech) but everyone is out of the Monroe Reflexes for the front of my X, won't be in until next week. Also have to wait for the sway bars 'til next week. I'm going to do everything at once next weekend.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO PROVIDED THE INFO!!

I'll post b4 and after pix once I'm done.

dyoung3,

Austin Performance Specialty and Equipment Inc
on N.Lamar. 832-5566.

--mark

Thanks, Mark - I'll give them a call.

Back