toad

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Blue Point, Ontario, CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac
Check engine,code 173(updtae new code)

does this mean its time for new O2 sensors , anyone else seen this one, The code says O2 sensor lean on one side or like that I dont have the book in front of me.
It idles rough on start up but runs fine other words .Did a search but didnt find any thing new.
Any help is appreciated, Thanks, Todd

Updated see below.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably. When I needed a new one I got code 173 (or was it 172. same code for the "other" side of the engine). FYI, the '92 (at least my '92) only has one O2 sensor.

my error. the difference between 172 and 173 is O2 sensor reading lean vs. rich. Mine was a 172: the O2 sensor would go dead after warming up and put out a constant 0 V. Yours may be shorted out causing it to read a constant 1 V. Still, the best thing to do is to probably replace the O2 sensor.

I noticed this morning it seems to be sucking back the gas pretty quick as well,will o2 sens cause this?Help

Yes, a bad O2 sensor will spaz out the computer, which in turn spazzes out other parts. This could cause problems if you don't replace it soon. The new one should fix some of your mileage troubles.

Thanks guys, I guess Ill start with the sensor, time to use up some penetrating oil and knuckle skin , wish me luck.

By "Sucking back the gas" I assume you mean its chugging instead of sipping.... anyway, that symptom might be and indication of a bad FPR. If that goes and your running rich, that will kill the O2 sensor...... and empty your wallet paying for mucho gas!

Thanks Tom , The code says lean not rich but its worth lookin at .

ok so 173 is rich not lean ,oops,
I got home and did a KOER test and got back 167 "TPS fault during dynamic response test" would the TPS cause my problems? Thanks , Todd
oh ya the FPR seems normal no gas in vac. line but its still a possible.

Sorry for questioning the test, but that code (167) can be set by incorrectly performing the KOER test. At the appropriate cue from the computer, you're supposed to "goose" the throttle. If you don't, then the computer sets this code to indicate that it didn't see the goose. If you performed the test correctly, then this could indicate a problem with the TPS. I'm not sure if a bad TPS would cause the problem with the O2 sensor reading.

quick question to all you guys in this thread

My '96 ex. 2wd shows the check engine light and has been for a good while now. Until reading this thread it was ignored now i am a little worried. What should i do, and how do i know exactly what's wrong with it?

explorer4x493,
My opinion: get someone to read the codes for you or get a scanner and read them yourself. Then you know what problem the computer is seeing.

Mrshorty ,you are likely right abot the test I forgot the BOO the first time and did not goose her the next . The O2 code is the only consistant code so thats where I,ll start.

Back